+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Finding a speech therapist

Hi everyone,

My son's teacher has suggested that he may need speech therapy (this is not the first time we have wondered about this so it did not come as a shock).

I have no idea how to go about arranging it.

Do you need a dr's referral?

Can anyone suggest a good therapist, private is fine, in the northern suburbs?

Thanks in advance :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've been referred to Rosie Candler in City Beach. Many people tell me she's amazing. We're having our first session this afternoon.

Her details are:

8 Kingsland Avenue
    City Beach WA 6015
    Phone: 9385 9333
    Fax: 9385 8597

Meant to add no referral was necessary.
    Last edited by Sonja; 13-03-2013 at 15:33.

Thanks
    Reviews

how did your session go today were you happy with her?

did you have to wait long to get in?

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi MsTruth

If you want to go through the public system, then you do need a Dr referral, but the wait times are pretty long. You usually don't need a referral if you go privately, but this is dependent upon your speech pathologist and/or your private health fund provider.

If you input your area details into This link you should be able to find someone near you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MsTruth View Post

how did your session go today were you happy with her?

did you have to wait long to get in?
    She was wonderful. We had an almost 2 hour session and she was just terrific. My son is only 2 and she got to the heart of the issue for us very quickly (his 2 older sisters do all the talking for him which is what we had anticipated) and gave me some easy and enjoyable solutions. I was really happy and most importantly my son really connected with her.

It took a while for me to see her but that was because we wanted to wait til he was 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Pegasus :-)

That is great Sonja, I will contact her office - thanks :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you call the joondalup child development centre they can post out a list of private speech pathologists. If going private, no referral required. Most of our costs were covered by private health as we have speech pathology as one of the options

we were on the public list for over a year, in that time my kids have been seeing a private speech pathologist and have improved so much that they no longer need assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mum2twinboys I will check out the CDC.

We will go private also, need to get our son in as soon as possible. The teacher does not think that our son will need many sessions but best to get him in now.

I have also been told to get his hearing checked so he has that test in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a speechie in Perth, and work both public and private.

Private you don't need a referral, just call one up. The best way to find one near you is to go to the PSPAWA website for a list of registered private speechies. Most have no wait list, but sometimes the best ones might have a little wait! If your son has more than one need (eg. a hearing test and speech) they could be eligible for 5 Medicare rebated sessions if you go via a GP referral. Look at info on Chronic Disease Management program (its something like that, don't be put off by the name!) which can help with costs.

Public you also don't need a referral, you can look up the "Child development centers" and self refer to the one for your suburb. But really, teacher should do one if it was ID at school, they have school based info that makes sure he gets listed for the right services. They do have wait lists which can be quite long. But it's free!

Hope that helps!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lib it For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (15-03-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to get the up to date info Lib it. I'm an OT and in the public system we always need a referral, as the wait list needs to get prioritised somewhat. In private we've had some clients come back and ask for a copy of a referral so they get their rebate. It's confusing for some as there doesn't always seem uniform.

Glad you came into this thread to help out the OP