+ Reply to Thread
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tips for a mum returning to full time work

I have a 3 year old and have been working 2 days a week. In a couple of weeks I will be starting work full time (devastated) and I just want some pointers on how to make things work. How do you stay on top of everything, feed your family in a timely fashion after a full day of work, still have a relationship with your spouse, is there any time left for you? Our current arrangement has been that DH is working, I am taking care of the homefront, but naturally as the balance is shifting and we will both be working full time there will be a more even distribution of labour at home....except cooking isn't his strong suit.

I am not above paying someone to come and do some cleaning but that may be a month or so after I start because I have some bills to catch up on from our current position on struggle street.

Help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bumping for the night hubbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sorry hun, I didn't see this earlier.

I am about to give notice as I am just no longer coping with f/t work but did it successfully for years. You do need to ensure that your DH does his absolute equal share because there is already so little time to get it all done and many, many studies suggest that f/t working mums are still doing the lion's share of housework and child duties.

Cleaner for the big jobs is a good idea and just doing small jobs through the week, big cleanup on weekend.

I get a fair bit of me time, but only because I have a wonderful DP who will drop everything and take DS so I can go out, as I do for him too. I don't think I would have been able to do it for so long without him <3

I get up super early to do yoga and practice other tension relieving exercises/breathing etc. it's hard work but definitely doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Benji. There is a chance that I will get some flexibility with this job but they have to start me full time or not at all. I am currently working on getting DD in to a better night time routine because she is up too late atm , and I just know this won't work if it continues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went back to work full time about 8 months ago just after dd turned 2. I had previously been doing 3 short days so I was really anxious how I would cope as dh also works away for 10 days then back for 6 so I'm on my own alot! Here are my tips!!
    1. Be prepared!!! I do my food shop on Sunday so fruit and vege will stay nice and fresh all week and I plan the week worth of meals so I don't have I think too much during the week.
    2. Don't sit down!!! When you get home from work make sure you have done everything you need to do before to you sit down or there is no chance of you getting up again! I get home in the afternoon and make dd's lunch for next day ,cook dinner, bath dd, shower, tidy up and pack dd's kindy bag all before I sit down in the evening!
    3. Give in to takeaway and have a night off from cooking! Sometimes I do a mid-week takeaway (Thai or something) just so when I leave work I know I don't have to worry about cooking and cleaning up. And the plus side is there is leftovers for lunch the next day!
    4. Enjoy your friday night. I adore Friday nights. No lunches to make, no bags to pack or reasons to get up early the following day. I then use Saturday as a fun day and Sunday is getting ready for the week again.
    5. If all of the above fails.... Rock quietly back and forth in a room.

I'm not going to say its easy but it is definitely doable if you are prepared!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

babycart  (10-04-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (13-03-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't work full time all the time but I do from time to time take on full time contracts so here's a few tips I have learnt along the way

- go easy on yourself and don't sweat the small stuff, honestly, it's not worth it
    - do the lunch boxes/bag packing the night before while you are doing dinner prep
    - always cook twice the amt needed so you have a freezer stocked. Great on those nights when you have a meeting that runs over and can pull a lasagne out of the freezer as you run in the door at 6pm
    - you can peel and cut veggies and store them in good quality seal lock bags in the fridge ready to throw in the oven/steamer etc
    - washing ..... I wash at night when I work full time and DH will hang washing on the line later that night or first thing in the morning
    - time for self - I get up at 5am when I work full time. I use this time to catch up on the house but also to go for a walk or to go and sit on the beach for 20 mins. Or have a quiet coffee outside and read a magazine or jump on here and ban a few spammers DH finds this irritating (because I always say how tired I am so he thinks I should not get up so early) but I really need this little quiet window in the day.
    - I use Coles online to grocery shop. I do this on Thursday nts and plan the delivery for late Friday afternoon so I have a fridge and pantry stocked for the weekend.
    - don't use the weekend to catch up on the house, or to do the grocery shopping etc just use these two days for family time, it's so important

All the best

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

babycart  (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am currently a stat at home mum but I rid work full time from the time DD was 12weeks until she was nearly 3yrs. DH also works full time. It's tough and the reality won't really set in of how tough it is until you have been doing it for a few months and it all sort of catches up with you.
    My tips are if you can budget a cleaned definitely do it. We got one when DD was about 1year and had them come once a week until I finished working 1.5yrs later. They did the vaccumming and mopping, bathrooms and kitchen and general dust/wipe over of furniture. so worth every cent.
    Meal planning makes life so much easier for shopping and also because you just don't have to think if you are feeling exhausted. we cooked enough for lunch the next day at most meals.
    Sleep is vital. forget about that just one more job that needs doing or that one more thing that you should really clean and just go to sleep instead. I struggled to turn my mind off at night and was always struggling on little sleep which then created a bad sleep cycle. I ended up putting a reminders app on my phone so that if I thought of something once in bed I would just type it into my phone and then not stress about forgetting it tomorrow.
    Learn to use timers on your appliances- setting the washing machine with a delay timer so it finished the load just before you get home to hang it out, having the Hester come on in the morning half an hour before you get up so you don't waste time not wanting to get up because you are freezing, using a slow cooker for meals.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

babycart  (10-04-2013)