+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Recovery after emergency c-section

Hi there everyone, I'm very new to this and a bit nervous (not sure why).
    I had an emergency c-section nearly 4 weeks ago after an 18 hour labour where my baby was posterior and I got to 9cm but couldn't quite get that last bit as I had an anterior lip (of my cervix) also. So I had an epidural to relax and about 40mins into it baby's heart rate started to drop and so a c-section was required. It was all very unexpected as I'd had such a great pregnancy and done calmbirth and my labour was really good. But at the end I was healthy and so was my baby boy which was fantastic. Since then I've been back to hospital as the right side of the wound was weeping and infected so was on antibiotics for a week and its now healing well. I have a few questions if anyone can offer some support or advice I'd really appreciate it.
    I still feel a bit tender on the right side, almost like a gentle pull sometimes - is this normal and will it subside with time?
    How have other people's c-section recovery been? I don't know many people who have had one and so I feel a bit in the dark.
    I am starting to feel a bit frustrated/disappointed that I can't lift and carry my baby as much as I'd like and can't drive. It's starting to affect my confidence and I feel like I have very little independence. My partner is amazing in all that he has done and continues to do and I'm so grateful but I feel like I'm missing out.
    There is one stitch on the right side of the wound that is just hanging there (the stitches were all internal). The nurse said last week it would drop out but it hasn't yet and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thank so much for any replies :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi!
    From the general consensus I understand if it is a quick emergency csection then it often causes healing to take a little longer. With your stitches ring the maternity ward/obs/middie and ask how long it should be left before they take it out - my stitches went away but I've heard of some being taken out if they don't go themselves.
    It's great that you are taking it easy - better than tearing something that is trying to heal. It's not uncommon for women to over-do it and end up back in.
    It is hard not driving for so long - it is connected to insurance and not being covered for 6 weeks after a csection.
    For your confidence - plan some afternoon outings with your partner for when they get home to get you out of the house, keeping sane and build your confidence up. Even if it's just for a short stroll or a cuppa somewhere. Even grabbing a few groceries, but remembering not to overstretch or lift anything too heavy.
    If you had an infection it may also make you feel a bit under the weather so give yourself time and lots of sleep - hopefully if bub is letting you!

Hope you're feeling better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you sure you can't drive? Did your doctor say that or your insurance company? Most companies have a policy of going with what a doctor says, and most doctors say drive when you're ready. I was fine to drive a week later.

I still had some issues for a couple of months, mainly a pulling sensation when I peed. They say it takes 6 weeks to fully recover so I wouldn't worry about not healing fast enough before then.

Just lie on the couch and cuddle your bubba .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi

Ive had 2 emergency c-sections. (2nd one was planned but she came early and its technically classed as an emergency) My first all went smoothly other than getting pnemonia(sp?) but my second. I had infection on the left side of wound which was oozing i had to go back to the hospital for 3 day round of IV antibiotics then home with a topical cream. I also had the one stitch ont eh right side of my wound( wound was stiched with dissolveables on teh in side and glued on the outside) kindve looked like fishing wire.
    I was told that it would drop off on its own & some stitches will poke through and seal into the glue, but will still dissolve in time it was nothing to be concerned about. after the infection it healed nicely but still that stitch on the end hung in there 6 months later i had had enough and went back to the doctor who grabbed a pair of tweezers and pulled it out didnt hurt didnt nothing kinda felt like a waste of a doctors trip really.

Nevertheless that little stitch wont do much it will eventually dissolves away or fall off.
    Last edited by MonsterMoosMum; 13-03-2013 at 11:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say you should be able to lift baby alot more easily by now.. I think you definately need to get re-look at re: stitches. hope you recover asap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was told not drive for 6 weeks but if I felt good I could start driving earlier. I started driving around 3 weeks. I had a fast emergency c section too. I was still sore but not too sore that I couldn't drive. I asked if I could lift baby in the capsule etc and I was told that was okay but nothing heavier.
    As for a pulling feeling, I had that on my left side for about ten weeks. Especially when walking upstairs or bending down etc. my OB told me that was normal as the muscle and everything heals. I was worried about it, my bub is 13 weeks now and I don't feel anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone. It's so nice to hear from people who have been in similar situations - I don't feel so alone. I think I like this bub hub forum! I really appreciate all your posts and have a mchn appt next and my gp one in 2 1/2 wks so will ask them more then too.
    I hope you've all had a great day - loving the cooler weather here in Melbourne!