+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cook in bulk and freeze?

I'm really broke for the next month so looking for some meal options which can be made in bulk (by this I mean if I make spag Bol with 500g mince it does us for three meals, so this amount) and frozen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chicken cacciatore from scratch can be really cheap, easy n delish, especially if you like using a slow cooker (oddly I find mine too slow...? Lol). Minestrone soup, sausage casserole, shepherds pies, falafels (the pAck mix in the organic aisle in really cheap n easy and it freezes beautifully), chickpea curry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some of my faves to cook and freeze - Chilli con carne, casseroles, quiches, curries, pastas, fried rice....the options are endless!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You could do:

Pizza bases with sauce (and just thaw and top afterwards)
    Pasta Bolognaise
    Cannelloni
    Lasagne (varying types)
    Risotto
    Fish and veges in steam containers
    Sauces (so you could make like mushroom sauce, peppercorn sauce, etc for steaks and whatnot). There was a delicious plum and soy sauce to go over pork that I just froze in little portions.
    Quiches
    Homemade Pies and Pasties (and other pastries)
    Fillings for tortillas
    Curries

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. Going to start the pre-bub cook up soon and need lots of ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always precook and freeze other wise we don't eat!

The standard spag bog- I add grated carrot, zuchinni etc to make it go further.
    Tuna bake- cheaper if you make your own white sauce instead of the packet, tin of corn and done!(Use powdered milk and even cheaper!)
    Apricot chicken and rice.
    Pizza's - i put the toppings on as well then freeze. You can make good pizza dough from a bread mix recipe.
    Pumpkin Soup - any soup! I put whole pumpkin, potato, nutmeg, chicken stock, S&P, garlic in the slow cooker and then whizz it and freeze, when it is defrosted I add a bit of milk, or evilly cream!
    Garlic bread out of getting old bread or buns- mix some butter and garlic or herbs spread on freeze wrapped in alfoil, then just put them in the oven.
    Marinated chicken bits- cook and freeze, defrost for to use cold with salad.
    Satay snags- Sausages, onions, red cap, peanut butter, garlic, sweet chilli sauce. YUM with mash, pasta
    Roast any meat, silverside is my fav in the slow cooker. If for sandwiches slice once its cold and then freeze or freeze in containers with veg etc. (To keep your silverside super moist leave it in the liquid you cook it in until its cold!)
    Not really a freeze thing but something easy and cheap (if you have it in your garden!) Basil, parma cheese, garlic, olive oil and pine nuts (i have used peanuts before)pesto. Then all you have to do it cook some pasta and stir it through. You can freeze some roasted pumpkin to chop and put through as well.
    I make all my kids lunch box snacks and freeze them too, quiches, muffins, scones. A cheap muesli bar alternative is breakfast cereal, but of flour and mix in some melted honey, butter and brown sugar and bake. They last for 2 weeks.
    Suppose I'd better plan what I will be cooking and freezing too!