+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Being paid by friend to doggysit?

I babysat my friend's dog over the weekend while she and her partner went away for the night. It was totally fine - the dog is lovely, they brought over food and dog crate for her to sleep in, she got along well with my dogs.

Since it went so well, she asked me if I would consider having her dog while they're away for 4 weeks over Christmas. She offered to pay me like $500 or so because we'd be doing her a favour and she'd feel better knowing the dog was going to enjoy its stay (as opposed to at the kennels). I told her I didn't want her money and I was happy to have the dog, but she insisted.

I'd feel really strange accepting that much money off a friend, but I know a good kennel would be way more than that, and she wants to repay me for doing the favour.

What would you do?!?! (No judgement of course! Hubby said take the money!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would feel weird about it too. a bottle of wine or 2 would be enough for me, especially if she is providing all food.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah maybe a bottle of wine or a movie voucher or an IOU for dogsitting your dogs?
    Very nice of her though (and you!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I had a friend that could take my dog instead of kennels! For 4 weeks the equivalent kennel bill would be around $560 ($20 a day). So maybe suggest half this?
    But as a dog lover I can understand your friend wanting to pay you this much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would take the money. I have a friend who takes me on holidays while mum looks after her dogs. Thats her deal (or payment). She trusts us and loves that we won't feed her dog bad foods etc...

We put our dogs into a kennel once before and they got so sick! If you feel bad for that amount of money maybe say half

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A good friend? I wouldn't accept money. But I would accept a nice case of wine

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

WineTime  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Generally i don't like taking money. I'd probably just ask for the cost of food and/or whatever you need to supply for it though.

I was looking after a cat for what was meant to be a week and ended up being almost 3 months before the owner finally, reluctantly came and picked it up. The owner supplied one small box of food sachets so i had to fork out the expense of the rest of the food and kitty litter... I would want to avoid this situation and take the money to cover food upfront.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Generally i don't like taking money. I'd probably just ask for the cost of food and/or whatever you need to supply for it though.

I was looking after a cat for what was meant to be a week and ended up being almost 3 months before the owner finally, reluctantly came and picked it up. The owner supplied one small box of food sachets so i had to fork out the expense of the rest of the food and kitty litter... I would want to avoid this situation and take the money to cover food upfront.
    Omg this happened to me too! Maybe it's the same person lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have offered to dog sit for someone for 6 months because they don't know when they can move into their new house. We were given some cans and $50 for extra food. It is a sh** of a dog also! You surely have a good friend to offer!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

MissusMac  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    We have offered to dog sit for someone for 6 months because they don't know when they can move into their new house. We were given some cans and $50 for extra food. It is a sh** of a dog also! You surely have a good friend to offer!
    Yes!! We looked after BILs dog while he and his family went on holidays. They didn't bother telling us what an @rsehole it was! Ripped clothes off our line. Searching the streets at 10pm because he dug its way out. Popped our blow up pool that we had set up for a party.

I don't think I could take $500 though

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app