+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New mum with Mild anxiety can anyone relate?

Hi, just want to chat to people with similar anxiety like myself. My son is now 3 weeks and 1 day old. I got a touch of the baby blues the day before leaving hospital and it slowly started to get better after a few days. I get anxious sometimes usually late afternoon and I guess I've been anxious everyday as my husband went back to work today so I've been thinking about it a lot. He's been such an amazing support person and I always miss him when I'm not with him anyway.

What I want to know is that it's normal right to feel anxious occasionally for first time mums? Reassurance that I'm not going crazy would really help I think. I did see my GP when I had the baby blues and saw him the week after aswell and I had improved drastically. And he explained that it is normal for new parents to feel anxious.

so i would just love to hear people's stories about their anxious moments etc.
    and experience in these feelings. I tend to think about things too much and being at home..alone probably doesn't help.
    Last edited by MayW; 12-03-2013 at 15:42.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Oh, it's so normal! When my son was born in October, I used to panic every time my husband went out, even if it was only for half an hour. I wasn't worried about anything in particular, I would just get very teary and tense. I also cried every time the baby cried, because I felt like I was letting him down. Mum told me that just because he was crying didn't mean he was sad, just that that was the only way he could communicate, which helped me a lot. Also taking the baby for a walk every day was great for my mood.

It does pass within the first month, but remember there is a difference between baby blues and postnatal depression. It's great that you've been to the GP - just read about the signs and symptoms and keep an eye on yourself.

Hang in there - the fourth trimester is the hardest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Oh, it's so normal! When my son was born in October, I used to panic every time my husband went out, even if it was only for half an hour. I wasn't worried about anything in particular, I would just get very teary and tense. I also cried every time the baby cried, because I felt like I was letting him down. Mum told me that just because he was crying didn't mean he was sad, just that that was the only way he could communicate, which helped me a lot. Also taking the baby for a walk every day was great for my mood.

It does pass within the first month, but remember there is a difference between baby blues and postnatal depression. It's great that you've been to the GP - just read about the signs and symptoms and keep an eye on yourself.

Hang in there - the fourth trimester is the hardest!
    oh Thankyou, I'm the exact same there is nothing I'm thinking of in particular that gets me anxious it just happens. It's just dawned on me that maybe not being able to go out when I want to is a big factor in what could change my anxiety, cause I'm breastfeeding I don't have the confidence to feed in public I'm just not the type and I have nothing against people that do.. It's just not me. So I've been isolated at home which I think is also very unhealthy for you. I've made a decision to see my lactation consultant because breastfeeding is taking its toll in many ways I feel.
    I've suffered anxiety and depression when I was in my late teens, and I think the thought of that experience is what makes me panic about it too and the fear of becoming that way again. But I always recognise the signs and know when it's time to see someone, like when I initially saw my GP I think that was the day after I came home.

I love my little boy and I guess not having the confidence with him yet would play a part in my anxiety aswell.

Is the fourth trimester considered the first month or 3 months? And yea I knew it wouldn't be easy but didn't realise all these feelings that I could have along with it. I guess a combination of exhaustion aswell.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    The fourth trimester usually refers to the first twelve weeks. I think you're right - as I got more confident with my son ie recognizing his cries, sorting out feeding and nappies, my anxiety lessened.

I hope it's getting easier for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, Its perfectly normal to feel anxious with your newborn, especially when you say you've suffered from it before. I'm very laid back and relaxed normally, yet the first few months with a newborn I was a wreck!

My DD is 4.5 months and it was only last week that I was worrying about her going on solids and the rejecting her breastfeeds. Best thing I did was post a topic on here and I got reassuring words of wisdom, which brought me back to reality.

I also found that getting dressed in the morning (even if I wasn't going out) made a difference to how I felt.

There will always be something to worry about, and I find if I am stressing too much, My DD can feel that I am t tense. Keep smiling and ask for help when you need it. Also remember that babies have no comparison, so even if hulk think you're doing a bad job, they think you're wonderful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I'm reassuring myself that it is normal to have these feelings. I'm just taking each day as it comes now and not comparing them to each day as with babies they are all different. I have noticed that I've been improving more and more each day, especially after taking my firs trip in the car on my own and heading out aswell which is great and starting to feel there is a tiny little routine going on too. So I'm going to look to the future with positive eyes and not panic about every little thing etc