+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dogs & newborn

Our bub is due in just under 6 weeks. I am getting really anxious with our beagles and the newborn.

We will have a baby gate in the hall entry (so they can't get into our area of the house) bubs room/our room.

I think they will be friendly with my baby as they are great with my brother with downs but i'm worried with the noises etc... Like the little lamb swing, toys etc. My dogs LOVE toys and I don't know how I will tell them no after for years they have been allowed noisy toys etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We were quite lucky that our dog was still young when we fell pregnant, so still b being trained. That said he was also still in the chew everything age as well!

We did a few things. We put out baby toys/objects and left them lying where they would fall (as will happen) then waited until he approached it, if he went to grab it he would be reprimanded (use whatever technique works for your dogs or google as there's lots to use). Then he would be offered his toy and praised when he played with it. This really did help him to learn that not all toys = his. In 5 years he has probably chewed up 3 of DD's toys (and once was when my nephew had thrown the toy at him to play with!).

I'd also walk around with a toy/blanket dangling from my hand/arm, again reprimaning if he decided he wanted to play with it.

Finally, the poor fella, whenever he was relaxing I would randomly walk up and tug on his ear, whiskers etc. It sounds so cruel, but I knew it was nothing compared to what he would cop once bub realised dog=fun! He's put up with anything and everything for 5 years now and never struck back in surprise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been pulling there tail and skin LOL i am pretty rough with them (we play with them and stir them up) and they love it. We did this for my brother just incase he did this.

I'm just hoping they don't try and jump on her when the swing is moving etc Or they wi ll have to be outside dogs and these are my first babies I don't want them to feel left out either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Set the swing up now and set it going - it will be the swing they react to, not the bub in it. If they react then reprimand them and redirect them to their own noisy/moving toys.

Do you have a mat/place for them to be sent to? If not, set one up so you can send them there if they are being silly (rather than just outside). Also make sure your dogs know you are their pack leader (check out some Cesar Milan for techniques - love Dog Whisperer!) and you are not doing little things to confuse them about who's the boss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have more trouble stopping my dd from playing with dog toys than stopping the dog touch hers. My little dog takes them to her. Our two dogs have been fantastic with my dd, but they are outside most of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi monnie

I was a bit worried about how our german shepherd would adjust to a baby when we brought DS home. To get her used to his things I just had them out and setup for some time before he was born. I actually didn't reprimand when she would grab a toy, as I didn't want her associating baby (or baby's toys) with anything negative. If she did pick up a toy I would just ask her to 'give' and replace it with one of hers. (she's a very sensitive dog though, and has really only ever been trained with positive re-inforcement, your dogs might be a bit different and need a firmer approach).

She is a very gently dog in general, and when we brought DS home she was actually very, very respectful of his space - we would allow her to sniff him, but she never actually touched/ tried to lick him (if she did we would have just gently moved her away). She was quite confused when he cried, but she got used to that pretty quickly. She actually got quite motherly and would run to his basinett and sit by it when he woke up and started crying! We just made sure we have her plenty of attention, praise and pats when DS was around so she associated him with good things.

In terms of the swings and stuff, I would start using them now with a teddy or something in them so the dogs get used to the noise/ movement. It's also a good idea to get your DP to take home some worn baby clothes after bub is born and you guys are still in hospy so the dogs get a chance to get used to bubs smell before you actually bring her home.

In all Bella has only chewed up a few of DS's toys, but really only ones that have been left outside for awhile and she figures they're fair game I think! Anything she picked up and we took off her just got a wash before being given back to DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls!!!

Decemember- our girl is bella too and bonnie haha!! I will get some batteries for the swing as I haven't done that yet

I feel a bit calmer reading this Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the same worries with how our staffy would be with ds1 when it had just been him having free range of the house all those years. We started giving our furry family member more time outside in the months before ds's arrival and introduced him sleeping in the laundry rather than our bedroom floor. When ds arrived we introduced dog and baby and made the effort not to neglect jim by shutting him out. He was now an outside door a majority of the time but we would let him sniff bub and also gave him a jumpsuit of bubs to sleep with to get used to the smell. We also spent time outdoors with jim. We made sure never to leave baby and dog alone, no matter how well you know the dog or what breed the dog is they cant be trusted 100% so you always need to be that little bit weary. Jim was just fine with ds1 and he's just fine with ds2 and they have been good with him as they were taught to be from day dot, they have never pulled tail or teased him in any way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My biggest dog has always been over protective of both kids. When DS had a bath, he'd sit next to it trying to lick him. When DS or DD cry he lets me know and looks at me like I have no idea how to fix it! Lol I think he's a frustrated parent! Lol

I did what most other people have suggested - I am the pack leader, and both dogs have been taught what is theirs and what belongs to bub. DS (now 3) teases both dogs a little (he's just that kind of kid :s) but has been taught the warning signs and knows when it's time to back off.