+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help. Can't decide

I had an emergency c section with my first bub almost 3 years ago. I recovered really well from it and was at the time, quite relieved to have had a Cesar after the turmoil of trying to give birth via the 'natural' way.
    The surgeon immediately told me that it was a super good operation and there was no reason I couldn't try for a VBAC next time.

I thought I would want to try for a VBAC but after some research I am unconvinced about the success rate. At my 16 week hospital appointment I was a bit upset that midwives tried to sweep me into believing I would 100% be able to have a successful VBAC. On the other hand, the OBs told me the stats and spoke from her own experience.

For the last 4 weeks I have been almost 100% certain I want to go for a planned C section, mostly to have control over the situation. It was horrible spending 20 hours trying to get somewhere with a vaginal birth only to have a code called. I don't want that to happen again. I have had a stressful pregnancy this time around.

But..The pendulum is swinging the other way again. I read about the scar tissue binding the layers down there together after multiple c sections. Sounds awful. With a toddler and a house move on the way, recovering from a Cesar will be a bit trickier this time too.

Was there any defining argument that made you choose either? Please, enlighten me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry no advice, just subbing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    well i had 2 emergency C's and then a vaginal birth the third time around. im glad i did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I had some advice but I just want to hear what people have to say.

I had a c-section with DD (not a stressful one, but it still wasn't my plan) and even though I had a super easy recovery and it went well, I still feel like I want to try for a VBAC. But then the next day I want a c-section :S it's so confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had an emergency c-section after 10 hrs induction. Hip to hip and felt like throwing up for two weeks (I did for the first few days). But I hear that if the c-section is planned it is usually a smaller scar and better healing time.
    Our next two births were VBACs and loved them (I can say that atm as I'm not in labour!).
    First VBAC took long time to dilate. 48hr labour and this didn't include prelabour, but he did get stuck for a while and then uterus stopped contracting, so it could have been shorter if that didn't happen.
    Second VBAC 5hours of labour and came out second push (I did have an epi in for this at the five hour mark due to long labour before, but then they checked me and I was fully dilated, but due to posterior they let him turn before getting me to push) We went straight home as soon as my legs came back.
    They get an line in as soon as you go in - so just remember to keep hydrated at home whilst labouring. Go in a little earlier than usual to be monitored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi varusha - I am in exactly the same boat as you. I also had to get a c-section due to failure to advance after 25hours of labour.

I am almost 17 weeks with this bub and I also have to choose. Doctor said frankly c-section is safest for the bubs as there is a chance the old scar can tear and I am also freaked out at the idea of going through all that labour again with the chance I may need a cesarean again!!! Although my doc won't do a vba2c so this is essentially my last chance at natural birth.

The only thing I was thinking is my doc told me there are a few things you need for a vbac which is not requiring an induction and baby can't be too big at risk of tearing. I have decided to wait and see as the decision may be taken out of my hands anyway. Am leaning for c-section this time though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell me about it! The worst is getting the opinion of women who have had 3 home births without a hitch. We can't all just push out a baby without incident but try telling them you are thinking of a c section! Argh.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to varusha For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All i can say is, if it is possible for you to have a vbac, you should give it a try. It would be sad not to experience a natural birth at least once. I'm not anti-caesar, but i do believe natural birth is best (when it is safe to do so). I know many women who have had vbac's and cherish it as being the best experience.

Good luck with your choice and all the best with bubs xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I haven't heard of people being induced early with VBACs. I know the plan was that I was to be induced the day after I naturally went into labour. With VBAC induction they use a balloon to 'pump' open your cervix to try and encourage it - they pop it in and you go home til the next morning. I think the only thing left after that is the breaking of the waters. They ended up breaking my waters to get our first VBAC moving faster once I reached 7cm, but the contractions were too hard and too much on top of each other, so they gave me a jab in the leg to ease them off a little and it was fine.
    Saying all that, if an Ob said it was safer for me or bubs due to a particular reason to have a CS then I would do it in a heartbeat.

I figure at the end of the day - healthy bub and a mum recovering fine is what you want.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 12-03-2013 at 11:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by varusha View Post
    Tell me about it! The worst is getting the opinion of women who have had 3 home births without a hitch. We can't all just push out a baby without incident but try telling them you are thinking of a c section! Argh.
    Oh I know exactly what you mean. I asked allot of people who had both and they all said after going through both they would take natural - even ones that required stitches during natural birth. So I know that would be the better thing to do.

I asked my doc if my scar was tearing how would they know especially if I had an epi - he said they wait to the baby goes into foetal distress cause the placenta is getting damaged. Scares me a bit as I think it will be in the back of my mind the whole time I was in labour and I hate the idea of my baby being in distress by the time they work out something went wrong.

Gah hate decisions especially when it is something so important. And my sil joked he other day I think I'm too posh to push. It was as a joke but in freaked out everyone may feel that way bout me.