+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS4s favourite thing at the moment is getting his nappy off a putting poo all over the place. Nope, not going to pretend I like that game - even if it makes me a bad parent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree. It comes down to context and degree. There are heaps of things my kids do that don't really interest me but I'm very happy to fake it. BUt I draw the line at playing barbies. When one of the kids asks me to play barbies I say "no that's why I gave you siblings "
    Hahahahaha - that is WHY I am considering giving DD siblings

I loved playing with dolls and toys as a kid - and I played with them well beyond an age to admit - but I just can't do it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw that 'letter to mum at the playground' on fb the other day and thought the author was making some big assumptions and was rather condescending. So she sees someone on her phone at the playground, and she assumes that the mum ignores her children's pleas to watch them, hmmmm. Most mums I see on phones with kids will stop when the kids call, look up, respond, perhaps a 'yep I see you honey, great twirl' or similar, and then when kid moves on the mum looks back at the phone.

And I honestly don't think I've ever seen someone playing on their phone while pushing a swing. That's just asking to be whacked by the swing in a moment of inattention.

Its all very 'cats in the cradle' for the new generation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I find a lot of the stuff DD tries to get me to watch boring and mundane.

"Mum... come out here and watch me do a trick!" is something I HATE hearing. Hopefully she says is when I am busy and so I can reply with, "Sorry, I'm cooking dinner... I can't!" Then I can get away with not having to go outside and watch her do a tumble... again. It's a "trick," she's done for over 4 years now... and one she wants me to watch several times a week.

It's not exciting. It's not amazing. It's boring and pointless and I just can't fake being impressed anymore.

It's the same when DP goes on and on about how dodgy the conduit looks near someone's solar inverter. I pretended to be quite interested at first (as I did with the tumbling and DD). I would ask questions, smile, and pay my full attention.

Now I've heard about it so many times, I just go, "Hmmmm..." while vaguely looking into the direction he's pointing. I don't ask questions because I want the conversation about conduit to end ASAP... I'm not prolonging it by asking questions. I don't even put much effort into pretending I care... because I'm kind of hoping he realises I don't care that much, and while I'm happy to listen to him talk, I really don't appreciate the subject matter.

Same with DD - I like spending time with her... but I don't being called to go outside to watch a tumble, one that I've seen a million times already.

And the situation reversed? So long as they shut up long enough for me to say what I want to say, I really couldn't care less if they're interested or even paying attention. So long as they acknowledge I've made a sound by nodding or saying, "ahhh..." or something. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't care if parents are on their phones when at the playground, but I don't do it myself only because I refuse to have my phone in me at all times and often leave it at home on purpose.

I love playing with DS though, it makes me feel like a kid again. Prob also because he's a single child and I don't plan on having any more ever. I feel more obliged maybe? Not sure but he loved when I play with him so yeah, no phone but I check it often when he's occupied

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Before iPhone it was worse for kids! As a kid I spent week days standing in the bank line, standing in the Medicare or medibank line, standing in the insurance line, doing the huge weekly shop etc all the while expected to behave and be good. Remember lines in those places back then? Or tugging at mums pants while she sat at the phone organising work or being dragged into her work to sort out small things. NOW my kids play for hours at parks and have babycinos while I do all if that online. I don't even need to do grocery shopping. I get a lot more free time as a mum with an iPhone than my mum did back then. By the time we would get home exhausted from all the things we had to get done no way was mum playing with us, and we didn't want her to! I do think validating important feelings are good but my children can play without needing an adult constantly telling them how beautiful each twirl is and wonderful every scoop of sand they are picking up is. I think being too involved hinders imagination and free play and I'm actually against it.
    Good point!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    DH has pursuits I don't love, but I make an effort with them and vice versa, just like I do with my kids. I think a lack of interest isn't worthy of not being involved with what they are doing.
    But the point is, taking the kids to the park once a week or whatever and zoning out, using it as 'me time' (or as what resembles 'me time' as a SAHM) isn't being an uninvolved parent. It does not indicate a lack of interest in your child. Obviously, as long as the child is under responsible supervision, I don't believe getting in there every. single. time. makes one a better mum than another. I have joined in more times than not, and have felt the scorn for getting on my phone on those occasions I have.

My kids have 98% of my attention, but I too am already tired of 'MUM! MUUUUUM! Look at my special magic trick! Abracadabra, a la Kazaam, make that *object* DISAPPEAR!' *throws object over head*.

The first time he did it I clapped and danced like a mad woman! I skyped nana and let him show her. I then watched, rapt, for weeks, marvelling that only 3 short years ago, he said 'cheese' and I thought he was a genius!

He did it for the 30,000,871 time today and I was proud of myself for managing a half smile and not laying down on the ground and having a 2 year old tantrum, complete with limbs flailing.

But as usual, I find myself saying, why can't we all just leave each other alone. Fine, judge me, some just can't help themselves, but must you REALLY make sure I *know* you think I'm inferior /lazy/fat/skinny/over-protective/under-protective/neglectful/stifling...

This is getting my goat lately....

Edit: BlissedOut - I know I quoted you, but this rant is NOT Directed at you. Lol. I was thinking solely of the writer of the article and this one woman who gave me the stink eye today...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-03-2013),MrJones&Me  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The playcentre I go to regularly has a sign saying supervise your children. I don't follow my kids around the playcentre, but I do sit and watch them, and sometimes I do get in and play with them in the ball pit.
    Eeew, I'd never get in one of those ballpits lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    My kids have 98% of my attention, but I too am already tired of 'MUM! MUUUUUM! Look at my special magic trick! Abracadabra, a la Kazaam, make that *object* DISAPPEAR!' *throws object over head*.

The first time he did it I clapped and danced like a mad woman! I skyped nana and let him show her. I then watched, rapt, for weeks, marvelling that only 3 short years ago, he said 'cheese' and I thought he was a genius!

He did it for the 30,000,871 time today and I was proud of myself for managing a half smile and not laying down on the ground and having a 2 year old tantrum, complete with limbs flailing.

I totally understand that situation. I've even seen that exact same "magic trick," performed a million times too.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well I am a bad mum on a grande scale then, because I am sat on the lounge with dd playing on my iPad while she is watching TV winding down from the day.

Also check my phone or iPad while we are sat I the toy room In between games, especially in the new game we are playing which is Barbie I a mermaid tail, she makes my barbie be Kylie Morgan while she is Maleah Summers and well for part of that reenactment Kylie isn't in parts of it so unless she also gets me to play Aris I get some down time between scenes lol.

I don't play on it at the park unless dh is there also cause I have the wonky child that needs a helicopter and hand to hold so she doesn't fall. But then I am likely considered to be worse cause if my phone rings I get her off the equipment and put her back in her chair while I take the call, unless its one I can ignore