+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default FIFO and IVF

Anyone else juggling IVF cycles with FIFO partner? There is a general ttc thread, but thought there has to be others like me out there and i cant find an active ivf fifo thread.

My hub has been fifo for nearly 2years. We arent undertaking ivf because of that, but i know some maybe.

Having a partner that works away just adds an extra challenge to the cycle with appointments, solo epu, receiving news alone, making crucial decisions via phone....

Last cycle was fresh, we now have a frozen supply ... to take the pressure off with timing.

Anyone feel like chatting....?

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember how lonely it was, big . Will post to see how you're going at a more reasonable hour.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Sunshinebell  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did ivf twice both cycles successful with a fifo hubby. It was hard but has made me a stronger mum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MiniMaes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup me too. My partner started a fifo contract about 3 or 4 months before we started IVF and i did 4 cycles (1 cancelled after 2 weeks of stims, 1 fresh cycle and 2 frozen transfers) while he was on a 21/7 roster then a 28/14 roster.

It's def tough, on you both and you need a good support network around you. I know what it's like to do all the dr's appointments by yourself, my DP could never be there for the transfers as he had to go back so i did all the transfers myself. I guess the only good thing is that usually the income means that IVF isn't a financial burden on top of everything else.

I think the hardest part for me is that i had 3 chemical pregnancies/early miscarriages. So i had to ring him to tell him we got a bfp, then had to ring and tell him it was all over, that was the hardest part of all. It can get very lonely dealing with it all on your own.

hope you aren't on this journey for too much longer and you get that magic cycle that gives you a BFP.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah im surprised how strong ive been.
    Thanks for your lovely notes.

Im okay flying solo but wish he could be home for epu...more than anything.

Did you lsdies use frozen sperm?
    I think timing wise it'll more likely work out when he's away. 2:1.

Weve moved from east so i dont have the biggest network, but its growing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sunshinebell, my DH is also a FIFO worker and we are currently in our assessment cycle with a view to start our first cycle of IVF in April. I have decided not to tell anyone that we are on the IVF journey not even my mum and dad! It will most definitely be a trying time going to everything alone but the assessment cycle I have been doing has helped prepare me to go alone!

Due to DH moving from a 2:1 to a 2:2 roster within April and me being on a 28 day cycle by virtue of his company they have put him on the completely "wrong" 2 weeks which now do not coincide with my cycle at all.

They are in the process if sending a new employee up to site who will work on the opposite roster which will be perfect for us! My husband requested that they move him over to the roster which the other guy hasn't started on yet and they have declined (he has advised them of the reasons) I am absolutely gutted but what can I do?

So on that note does anyone know what the FS feels about frozen sperm for the first cycle?

Sorry for the rant but had to get it off my chest 😄😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Catttc
    This April cycle will be our first frozen sperm cycle.
    We were advised for Dec cycle to do it, but hubby took leave as we too wanted fresh if possible. Seems like frozen for fifo is something they are used to.
    Our clinic has high success rates of frozen for our age group. We feel we have to give it a go. Its a forced hand and when its works out he's here for epu day to use fresh those cycles will be a bonus.
    We're at Pivet. Who are you with?

Bit cruel that they wont swop his roster especially as you say there is someone new ready to start ... and they wont care what swing they are on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey everyone,

I too have a FIFO hubbie and we are just about to do our second cycle, this one will be a FET, which makes it much easier to work out timings, ive actually skipped one cos he wouldnt be here- he works a 4 and 4 overseas. with our fresh first one we timed it so he would be here for stims and egg collection, but he was then away for most of tww and result - this was quite awful as i took the negative result quite badly and just really wished he had been there- but such is life for FIFO!!!! this time ive started my drugs for the FET (im doing an HRT FET) and ive managed to talk my clinic into delaying the transfer by 6 days till hes home- they let me do that cos we already have an three year old and i said i would prefer the help with lifting her etc, so they agreed thankfully .

sunshinebell i too am with pivet in perth!- we are due to transfer april 8th all going well- when are you? are you doing the hrt fet too?

best of luck to everybody!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sunshinebell,

My sentiments exactly about the new guy but hey what can we do?

I am at Pivet too so seems like we are all at the same place, if you don't mind me asking who is your FS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey catttc, coincidence you are at pivet too! i guess there are lots of us fifo-ers in WA! ive seen a few people as our original fs dr richardson retired, but last time we saw dr phillip rowlands, he did my first transfer too. who are you with?