+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The one I used in hospital was a symphony and had a single use kit with it including all cords. This was same as when I hired, it was only the machine and you had to buy the kit individually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah ok yes thank goodness, the symphony is closed. I've spoken to a few people who got the swing in hospital though - I thought they must be wrong and said you mean symphony, the big yellow one etc but they were definite it was the little swing. I've forgotten the hospital now - somewhere in qld I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hijack the thread, just wondering if anyone can tell me if its worth buying a manual pump? I don't intend to pump full time so I feel like it would be a bit of a waste buying or hiring an electric pump. I only want it so I can get a little bit of milk stored in case I leave bub with DF for a few hours or if I go back to doing 1-2 days at work but they look like they'd be kind of uncomfortable on your hand after a while...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want to reply but I sell breast pumps so feel biased lol. I can tell you that we've only ever sold about 4 lol and sold thousands of electric. However for what you are saying you'd need a breast pump for, I think manual is fine.

Please don't spend $100 on an overpriced avent though, it's not at all necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a spectra dew (thanks to chew-the-mintie) and I love it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What's this open v closed business?

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bought a unimom manual for $30 a couple weeks ago because I don't know how much Ill use it for and figure $30 isn't too bad to try. I hear it's a decent brand too. I think there's a Closer to Nature manual one for $50 at Toys R Us too

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vic Park - an open system has no barrier between the milk and the pump motor. This means that over time moisture can access the motor and mould can result (s common medela swing issue) and its a theoretical risk for bacterial and viral transmission - so you shuoldnt ever share an open system pump ie dont buy second hand swings etc. It also means if you have a milk overflow it can backflow down the tubing into the pump which isnt good for it.

A closed system has a physical barrier preventing milk particles getting near the pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Vic Park - an open system has no barrier between the milk and the pump motor. This means that over time moisture can access the motor and mould can result (s common medela swing issue) and its a theoretical risk for bacterial and viral transmission - so you shuoldnt ever share an open system pump ie dont buy second hand swings etc. It also means if you have a milk overflow it can backflow down the tubing into the pump which isnt good for it.

A closed system has a physical barrier preventing milk particles getting near the pump.
    Thanks Mintie. I have an Avent electric, I don't know if it is open or closed but it leaked on the pump quite often..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cannot recommend the Spectra pumps enough

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (12-03-2013)