+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default One deflated boob!

DS2 is 6 days old and I've yet to experience any engorgement at all. I knew day2-3 my milk was in, but never painful or massive.

Now already my left breast is very 'deflated', as if its normal and I'm not even b/f. Milk comes out when I compress, but he doesn't feed that side for long either so isn't getting much.

With DS1 my left side was always smaller and I know this is normal. But I'm concerned that this time even in the very early days, it feels like its virtually empty. I had lots of supply issues and poor weight gain with DS1, so I'm worried history will repeat itself already.

Has anyone else experienced this so quickly? Is there anything I can do? I'm already offering that breast more often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MM

So you answered one of my next questions - that yes technically one breast can give them enough if required, which is a relief.

He poops nearly every feed and seems to have enough wet nappies. Although I admit I find this hard to gauge what a 'wet' one should feel like in disposables!

I actually purchased my own baby scales last time, so that I could accurately weigh DS1 every week for peace of mind. But I don't want to do that again unless I have to, I found this made me more stressed about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pesca huggies newborn nappies have a "wetness indicator" - a line which goes blue when the nappy is wet. That might help you to determine whether bub has a wet nappy or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you don't have the huggies nappies, you can put a few little cotton balls in the nappy and that will tell you if nappy is wet, this is what the hospital suggested to me when I was worried so I assume it's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too have a 6 day old, and have not felt full or engorged between feeds. Even if there is a 5 hour gap!

Good to hear I am not the only one

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi pesca77. I just wanted to say that you most definitely can just feed of one side. I am tandem feeding and give one side each and my 10 week old is a chubby happy baby and has only been fed off one side since birth

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Pesca huggies newborn nappies have a "wetness indicator" - a line which goes blue when the nappy is wet. That might help you to determine whether bub has a wet nappy or not.
    Thank-you - yes I use these too, but find as soon as he does 1 wee the line turns blue. To me that doesn't equal 'heavily wet' - or does it maybe??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my left boob is deflated. Well, smaller than my right. I think ds has a preference to my right boob for some reason. as much as i offer my left first, he always seems satisfied from the right side. When ds sleeps a significant stint o/night, my right side becomes engorged and a little lumpy but my left boob stays normal.
    I leave a disposable on him for 2hrs only (exception he's sleeping). when i change him it is VERY heavy, there is no mistaking one wee to LOTS of wee for him. Just feel the nappy - the stuff inside it goes all squishy and there is a weight to it. He poo's maybe once or twice every 3-4 days. Gaining 170gms a week on average. Because of this Im not that worried, i just look lop sided!
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 11-03-2013 at 20:41.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi pesca, this happened to me too wih DD (now 4mths) i also had major supply and weight gain iussues with DS and i thought yay a fresh start with DD...everything was fine initially but at the 2.5-3.5mth mark she wasn't putting on much weight etc and i'm now on domperidone again.
    I'm seeing a bf friendly gp who said i should've feed and pumped continuously for the first 2wks to try and avoid this low supply again.
    Basically, nurse and then pump straight after, offer both breasts in a feed and then double pump each for at least 10mins continuously round the clock.
    wish i'd known that as i was so close to taking my pump to hospital but i didn't