+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Silent reflux now 'normal' reflux?

So about a month ago we started to think DS has silent reflux as did our MCHN.

Reasons:

- We had been having feeding issues for the previous month
    - low weight gains when previously he had been gaining 260gms or more per week
    - catnapping during the day
    - waking more frequently during the night when previously had been sleeping for 8 hours
    - the MCHN suspected my supply was the issue (I have incredibly low iron levels which she believed was the cause) however after being prescribed motilium and my supply most certainly not being the issue nothing had changed with DS.
    - the next line of thought was silent reflux as I had started to notice he looked like he was bringing up vomit but swallowing it again and his eyes would go red like it was burning.

So we were advised to try mylanta and if we noticed an improvement then we had diagnosed it. After 3 days DS was a different baby. He was now sleeping well, so much happier, feeding better so it was decided after two weeks that he did have silent reflux. Unfortunately mylanta is only a temporary solution so he was prescribed losec two weeks ago.

Herein lies the reason for my post. After starting the losec he seemed to go backwards. Becoming hard to settle to sleep, not wanting to lay down etc. But also with the new symptom of vomiting.

The dr has increased the dosage for a week to see if there is any improvement otherwise wants to change to zoton.

Today is day 4 of the doubled dosage and the vomiting has been ridiculous. Yesterday it felt like he was throwing up everything he was taking in.

He also had his needles on Thursday so I know they can make him more unsettled and I was prepared for that, but its the increased vomiting that has me concerned.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe our DD2 did this. Silent reflux for the first 9 months and then for another 6 projectile vomiting! Now at 18 months she still vomits occasionally... I hate vomit, LOL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My lo had silent reflux and then became a chucker after starting on meds. Losec neutralises the stomach acid completely which can make the chucking worse. His reflux didn't sound too bad before so you may be able to get away with zantac which still leaves it slightly acidic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is the losec made into a compound? Latest research shows that it ceases to be as effective once it's made into a suspension. Or at least the active ingredient starts to lessen in effectiveness. This is what my paediatrician and the hospitals near me also follow. If its in tablet form and you give it then it remains effective. This is why a pharmacist or doctor might say it will peak in effectiveness at around day 8-10 of dosing. We started my bub on losec. Basically to see if there is much change. We are switching to Zantac for her reflux since I don't believe the losec compound is doing anything. But I never connected the two. She hardly ever had spit up before starting the losec, and now she possets with it. She did the same thing with gaviscon. Interesting. Losec can also cause constipation so upping the dose might make bub uncomfortable with going to the toilet too.
    (bear in mind I'm not a doctor, this is just the information I've gleaned through loads of drs appointments as my bub has special needs witha cardiac condition).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babylove, DS is only 4.5 months and I had been looking forward to that elusive 9 month mark everyone says they grow out of reflux by. Obviously judging by your dd did not this isn't always the case

thanks tamtam. My husband is a pharmacist that compounds the losec into the suspension so he just makes smaller amounts for us so I don't have to worry about it losing its effectiveness. We run out before that happens. My nephew had losec in a tablet form when he was a baby and it was a nightmare to get those granules into him. How do you find it?

I read somewhere yesterday a post from a representative of risa who suggested trying the suspension without the flavouring incase that is what is upsetting the tummy and causing more vomit. So we had yesterday's batch made without the flavouring so will see how that goes. The previous was pink and we gave it at 7.30am and at 6 pm some days he was throwing up with purple in it which we discovered was the losec (after I freaked out thinking there was something else wrong).

Ds is still exclusively breastfed and I have always been told that breastmilk only takes 30 minutes to digest. Yet DS can throw up 1.5-2 hours after a feed what appears to be curdled milk. Does anyone else experience this? I'm starting to get concerned that he isn't digesting the milk properly.

Also another train of thought, could it not be reflux at all but a cows milk protein intolerance? I started to wonder this so did some research and found differing opinions on whether it was actually as common as people suggest.

Yesterday ended up being a better day with the vomiting. I am off to get him weird today as I'm just concerned he will be not gaining weight with the amount he has been vomiting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had reflux and after trying losec and Zantac (which made her worse, like you described) I took her to a chiropractor. I had also heard from others and my own research that either me going off dairy if breastfeeding or changing to lactose free formula would help.

I tried goats milk formula first and saw a bit of improvement but felt we could do better so then I tried soy. Different baby within a few days. No meds, no reflux. Pead later diagnosed lactose intolerence and said most grow out of it by 2. She is now 2.5 and can have cheese and yoghurt but haven't tried milk yet!

Just thought it was worth mentioning another option for you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow. I'm jealous that you can get the losec made up in small amounts! You probably didn't pay the ludicrous $44i paid either even with a health care card for my dd.
    You could try cutting dairy out of your diet for the 24 hour period or something and see if that makes a difference. Is there blood in the poop? That can be a sign of an intolerance too.
    You probably need a visit to a paediatrician. Maybe keep a diary of 24 hours of all the symptoms bub is experiencing and see if there is a pattern to the vomits/upsets etc.
    I wish babies could tell us what is wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I didn't use the granules. That would be impossible!! I've used the suspension for a short time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory I had losec tablets that had to cut in half and crush and try to feed to her on a spoon mixed in EBM! Was a nightmare!

Mucusy or foamy poo can also be a sign of intolerence. I agree with seeing a pead ASAP. I really feel for you, it is so awful watching them spew and feed and cry and spew and feed and cry :-( poor bubbas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to say tamtam, it did not cost me that much. Although hubby sells it for $35 for 50mls anyway so $44 is expensive in comparison. Unfortunately it is off label when used like this so the government doesn't allow it to be used on the PBS so pharmacies take advantage and charge exorbitant prices.

A friend of mine got it from another pharmacy and was charged $50 for 50mls! Turns out they were buying it in already compounded which would explain why.

As for the cows milk intolerance, I have not been convinced this was the cause as he doesn't have explosive foamy poos, no blood etc. I contemplated eliminating it from my diet to trial but have read you have to eliminate it for 1.5 weeks.

Yesterday and today have been much better than the weekend. Only a small amount of vomiting and seems a bit more content. So fingers crossed the increase dosage is helping and the the effects of the immunisations are done with.

Side note, I had been noticing purple streaks in DS vomit which I assumed was the pink flavouring. The new batch of losec doesn't have flavouring and he still vomited a little purple this morning so it must just be the losec itself.