+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby is covered in vegetable curry again

This is going to sound really terrible, but because I feed my bub to sleep while I eat dinner, I'm always dropping food on her. I make sure not to eat hot food over her, but she rarely gets through dinnertime without at least a few bits of rice etc stuck to her. So I'm just wondering if there's any problem eating potential allergy-triggering foods like peanuts or honey while I'm feeding her? Can skin contact with these foods cause a reaction? If I eat a handful of peanuts should I then wash my hands before touching her etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's probably easier to feed yourself before or after you've fed her tbh.

That way there's no food on her either - nothing to risk allergic reactions, nothing to irritate her skin, no making her sticky/messy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ha ha!!! I remember those days in our house!! DD was perpetually covered in food despite being exclusively breastfed!! We never had an issue & I used to live on peanut butter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

InWatermelonSugar  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe place a napkin or tea towel over her. cover up with a muslin wrap or nursing cover like some women do when feeding in public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I remember those days too! If I tried to feed before/after she was attached it would mean I could eat at about 4pm or 10pm as she would madly cluster feed and comfort feed (or scream her head off) for hours every night before bed.

As PP said, try a napkin or eating out of a bowl can be a bit less messy. I was restricted to only things I could eat one handed - I'll have to remember that when I start freezing foods before tumbub comes!

I don't know about the allergy thing. I do know I discovered a nappy cream I was using on DD contained peanut oil so I googled lots back then and couldn't find anything to suggest it increased the allergy risk. That was 5 years ago so there could be better research evidence by now though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I sometimes drop food on DD too and then I may need to change her clothes depending on what I spilt. I feel like a piggy when I do it but if I didn't then I'd never get to eat as she enjoys her cuddles a lot

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

InWatermelonSugar  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry too much, I used to have my son lying on my lap feeding at the dinnertable. Yes they get a little messy but there are always facecloths

Thanks
    Reviews
    This might sound silly but I was thinking once of getting one of those tray tables. You know the trays with fold out legs. And placing it over DD. I never actually tried it tjough