+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Going out at night and babies sleep routine?

I've managed to get my 8 week old into quite a good night time sleep routine. I start it at 6:30 every night and by 8:30 I'm able to put her in her bassinette where she will usually sleep until around midnight or 1am without interruption. Before giving birth my DH and I had dinner at my parents house once a week with my siblings; I told them I wouldn't be at the family dinners for 6 weeks after bubs was born, the past couple of weeks they've all been constantly asking when we'll be joining them again for the weekly dinner. I'd love to get back into it as we're a close family and I miss catching up with them but I'm worried that if I don't stick to the routine I've started her sleep patterns will deteriorate.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice. If you've been in a similar situation have you managed to alter your babies sleep routine occasionally without it causing problems or would it be better if we just put off going out at night for a while until her sleep habits are firmly established? If so, how long do you think is reasonable to avoid all night time invites?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on your bubs and how well they sleep elsewhere but one night would not make a difference to the overall routine. Just do as close as you can to the routine while out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Going by what my kids did, I find they cope better with routine interruptions the younger they are - as they get older (for us it was around the 9 month mark when they were crawling) they become more aware therefore were harder to get to sleep in their cot if we had already been out. Go out and about as much as you can while bub is still very much portable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have regularly taken both our girls out at/after bedtime for functions/dinners etc.

We just do the dinner/bath before hand... and then usually the drive puts them to sleep on the way to wherever. If you have a car capsule, just pop bub in there for their sleep and transfer when you get out.

or - bath them at wherever you are having dinner, then pop them to sleep in a portacot etc.

IMO if you get your kids used to sleeping in random places as a baby they tend to carry it thru as they get older. My kids 2.5 and 8mths can sleep thru fireworks, blasting music and dinner parties now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have a weekly dinner at my parents house. My mum set up a porta cot at her place so from 2 weeks old we took DD to dinner and put her to bed there at her normal time. We then just transferred her to car and then to her cot when we arrived home. She always transferred very well and it never upset her routine. We still do this and DD is 9 months.
    I think the more you do it the more accustom they get and it won't upset their routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My "routine," was very flexible. It depended on hours between feeds and where sleeps fit into that... and if the day started earlier, then bedtime came earlier, for example. That may not have been at 8 weeks though, I think at that stage there was no routine... I just did what worked.

I took my baby everywhere. I went out to lunches and dinners often when she was young. I just had her sleep in her pram, on me, on someone else, etc. I never found it too difficult, but then I admit I never had a fussy, difficult baby either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that young, bub would be fine particularly if it's just the one night a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think by avoiding going out you are setting yourself up for a baby/infant/child who will only sleep/function if they are in their set bed at a set time. We have always taken our kids out at night to family functions (obviously not loud night clubs) but to nice restaurants and family houses and they are fine- they now at 20 months and 34 months know how to behave when out and as long as we have their comfort toy they will sleep anywhere so I often put them down in a spare bed or portacot or even a couch and then just carry to the car when we are done. We probably eat out/at family once a week and they adjust and behave really well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it will probably be fine at that age, and will let your DD get used to sleeping at your parents house too. That being said, I also think it depends somewhat on the child. From the start my DD slept terribly if we were out, and never easily transferred from car/inside. Once you picked her up she was wide awake and wouldn't go back to sleep. And she was extremely difficult to get to sleep when out, only to wake frequently. Wasnt worth the effort of taking her out much past her bedtime. It didn't ruin her bedtime routine though, was just challenging at the time. My DS is the opposite and easily sleeps when out.

Just give it a go for a while and see how it works for you. Hopefully your DD will get used to the weekly outing easily and you can enjoy your time with family!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Have dinner at your house.