+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about lactose intolerance

I suspect my 3year old (4yrs next month) has a lactose intolerance. she was complaining of her stomach hurting several times a day every day, it got to a point in January where she would just lay down and clutch her stomach until. it would usually last until age did a poo. Her pops smell atrocious and acidic and are not diarhoea but are quite 'loose'. We stopped giving her dairy for a few weeks and she quickly stopped complaining if stomach pains and her growth has thrived. She has always been a small child in height and especially weight and has trouble putting weight on. In the 6 weeks she has been off dairy she has put on a good amount of weight and looks a healthy weight for the first time in ages. however we have been trying different milk and milk alternatives to find one she likes (wasn't a fan of almond milk) and she has gradually started to her used to the taste of soy milk. However the last few days she has had a soy milk popper for breakfast and she has complained her stomach hurts again . So now I am at a loss because if its lactose intolerance shouldn't soy milk be fine?
    I think she is going through a major growth spurt at the moment as the last few days she is cranky, complains that everything from her legs to arms to head hurts and is a bottomless pit when it comes to food.
    So now I am confused if the stomach pains are related to the growth spurt or to the soy milk or if we are just completely on the wrong track. We don't face a regular Dr here yet and most of the medical clinic ones are useless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping for the daytime hubbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it be cows milk protein intolerance? I've read soy can cause the same upset tummy as cows milk and this is certainly true for my DS although he's not formally diagnosed cmpi

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been googling a bit and cone across that as well. I have just got some A2 milk to try as it has different proteins even though its a cows milk. She has had some with breakfast and so far seems ok.
    ETA- does that mean you still avoid all dairy and soy? Cheeses, butter etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only seem to have a problem with milk soy and cows but never with formula. My DS eats cheese and yoghurt but gets a sore stomach from cream and custard. Our pead recommended we take him off all forms of dairy and re-introduce slowly one at a time to see what he could handle.

If you DD doesn't like almond milk on its own could you add a little vanilla and honey or vanilla malt so it doesn't have such and almondy taste? My DS won't drink it on its own but loves it with the vanilla malt