+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What to buy 2nd hand for bubs?

Would you feel comfotable buying a cot, pram, highchair etc 2nd hand?
    What wouldnt you be happy to buy 2nd hand?

I would not buy a car seat 2nd hand, but im thinking the rest i would?

Whats your opinion and experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have bought a fair bit 2nd hand - clothes, pram, high chair, bassinet, bumbo, baby bjorn, play gym, etc.

I didn't buy a cot or change table 2nd hand, but I certainly would (though I would want to see them in person first).

Hope that helps :-)

ETA: Our capsule was 2nd, but I knew the history of it (from my SIL). I wouldn't buy one with an unknown history. And as per the post below, I also wouldn't buy a cot mattress second hand.
    Last edited by sunshine81; 10-03-2013 at 20:37.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine81 For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would buy anything other than car seat second hand and mattresses.

with DD, we bought cot, changetable, bassinet all second hand in perfect condition.

we got a lot of hand me down clothes, blankets etc and im more than happy to use them given they are in great condition.

they way we saw it.... why pay $2000 for the nursery set up we wanted when we can get it all for a quarter of that in perfect condition.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of it was second hand / never had an issue.
    Some people will try and tell you not to buy s/h but there's no problem. Especially clothes & furniture. Why not! They grow out of it sooo quickly
    And there are markets & special stores who sell only high quality baby stuff these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I probably wouldn't buy a high hair second hand because I know how grotty ours could get.

I wouldn't buy a car seat second hand unless it was from a close family member.

I would buy a pram second hand but it would need to be in excellent condition with no stains because I know how much food the girls manage to squish onto ours.

I bought a manduca second hand.

Second hand cot I'm not sure, maybe, I'd need to see it first though.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't buy a car seat/capsule second hand for safety reasons. Everything else I would and have. For our second hand cot and bassinet we bought new mattresses. I would do your homework before buying a second hand cot or bassinet, though- ours were given to us, but buying second hand then buying a new mattress you're not always going to save much money at all. Same with mcn's, i think the price people want for used nappies is outrageous. May as well by brand new nappies, imo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toys in general...bubba gets bored of her toys very easily....arrghhhh...e.g. Got a second hand cot mobile as I wasn't even sure if she likes it.....so instead of spend $100....it costed me $25.... Almost brand me. - what can go wrong with a cot mobile other than changing h battery right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would buy everything except mattress and carseat secondhand. We were given a few things, and anything we bought new was up to 50% off as there is always baby sales.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    everything but car seat and cot mattress.

the rest is ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got heaps of second hand stuff for dd but didn't pay for any of it as it was given to us. I got a matching cot and change table in great condition from friends of ours they told us the only condition was we are not aloud to sell it, it was given to them for their child and once we are finished with it we have to pass it on to another family which I think is a nice idea! We also got an angel Care baby monitor and walker from my uncle and lots of clothes and shoes from various people, oh and a high chair from my mate. I was so grateful for everything and it helped us out heaps!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub