+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night time toilet training.

My daughter is 3 yrs and fully to through out the day including day time naps.
    At night time she still has approx 150mls milk before bed. When she wakes in the morning her nappy is really wet. Is this an indicator that she is not ready to night time tt until we stop the milk before bed?

How did other people with girls around 3 go about starting toilet training at night?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD3 has just turned 3 and night time toliet trained. She used to wake with a pretty full nappy but we worked out she was waking and weeing. So we would stop any drink after 6pm, toliet before bed and then toliet when we were going to bed around 10/11pm. She's only had about 5 accidents in 4months and we don't put her on the toliet before we go to bed anymore.. Could you make the milk bottle earlier or with dinner?
    DD2 just refused night time nappies at 3 and was always dry yet DD1 who is 6 still wears a pull up(was night toliet trained at 2 until she got type 1 diabetes and kept weeing) She is just to much of a heavy sleeper now so pull ups it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 is younger that your little girl but for her we just transfered her to knickers one day. had the big chat about you are a big girl now yada yada. She had 2 accidents the first night... so we changed the sheets, 1 the second night and 3rd night dry.

so what we did was limit water after 6pm, wee before bath, wee after bath and bed by 8pm latest. DD1 is usually up by 6am so wees then.

No accidents in four months ish... DD1 is 2.5yrs old

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was fully day trained at 2 year 2-3 months but was only night trained at 5.5 years. I tried lots of things, but in the end realised that she wasn't waking and feeling the urge so stopping at let her do it when her body was ready. Reading a lot of stuff, including research that indicated that it was normal for some kids to night wet and need nappies helped a lot - this included leaflets from the health nurse etc.

At around 5.25 she started toget dry night nappies and then one day was fine. She has never wet the bed and is now 6.5, but when I was trying to 'train' her she did wet the bed.

Let your DD go and it will come. Night and day training are different and just cos one child gets it doesn't mean yours will. It really depends on them being able to feel the urge during a very deep sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 2 yr5 months and is day trained.

Night time is different as it is more physical than day. They can either hold their bladder that full or they can't.

So, just let her know that if she wakes and needs to go she can or if she waits till morning, then that is OK too.

DD still wets her pull up overnight, but also wakes and does a huge wee straight away. So, I know she is on the way to being able to hold on all night but am not in any rush.

Once she is "normally dry" I will do what i did with DS which is put on a pull up over her undies...can then use the same pull up for a few nights if she stays dry but she will also feel the difference of wee in undies and not a pull up. It took DS about a month or so to go from pull up - pull up over undies - just undies....he has only wet the bed 1 time in his life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post

Once she is "normally dry" I will do what i did with DS which is put on a pull up over her undies...can then use the same pull up for a few nights if she stays dry but she will also feel the difference of wee in undies and not a pull up. It took DS about a month or so to go from pull up - pull up over undies - just undies....he has only wet the bed 1 time in his life.
    thats a great idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is only my experience so far - and I have found our children to be different when TT.
    One of our children took an extra year to be dry at night (every two months would try undies until dry)
    The other one was dry all night as soon as he was TT during the day.

There is a physical precursor to them being able to hold their bladder at night and it happens between a range of ages which is quite broad. Though of course, as always there can always be other factors at play, ie. way too much water, laziness, deep sleepers and as someone else said, diabetes.
    We haven't held them back from drinking at night time but have friends who have limited their chn's fluids. Our kids often get up once to toilet in the hour or so after going to bed - and get into trouble if nothing comes out! ie. try to avoid it becoming a stalling opportunity!

We took a very relaxed approach to TT but have also been fortunate not to have had many accidents to clean up in the process. We also didn't put a definite age on when we wanted them trained. Both were day trained before 3yrs.

Our kids, when necessary will also get up and go to toilet during the night - doesn't happen often. Youngest has to go as soon as he gets up, ie.6:30am.
    All the best
    Last edited by Little Ted; 10-03-2013 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they know when they are ready. DD 1 had been dry for 2 weeks at night and I just stopped putting a nappy on her. She was 2yrs 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would personally just wait until she stops peeing her nappy. Then you just stop putting one on.

No accidents, no dramas, no horrible schedules involving waking them (and therefore yourself) several times a night for a toilet trip.

I think DD has peed the bed once or twice since she was night trained nearly 4 years ago... and those times have been when she's been quite ill.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 3 and has been day trained for over a year but hasn't had a dry night yet. I'm just waiting it out. DS didn't night train until 2 years after bring day trained. He just suddenly had dry nappies and never looked back. I know it will happen for DD when she is ready.