+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't start from birth but I exclusively bf til two weeks old. Then I expressed and topped up with ebm as my bub was tiring on the boob. I always offered bf first then gave top up of ebm after the bf. This is what my doctors and paediatrician suggested. I expressed after a feed when she was stil bfing. Then I pumped every two-three hours around the clock. I also exclusively pumped til jus t last week and she's just over three months old. It is hard work. Just be prepared to feel like you are always pumping. And you'll be out and about and your boobs will hurt so you will need to pump if you aren't bf bub. This is what I found most annoying.

Can I also add that I've learnt something in the last week about bottles and being similar to bf. the old fashioned slim line bottles with the longer tests ( like pigeon peristaltic teats) are the closest to bfing. (I've been to a speech therapist about my bubs feeding). The shorter teats on closer to nature and Avent bottles are not similar to bfing. So if you want it it be similar go for the older style. Just a suggestion.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Cazza1981  (10-03-2013),αληθη  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and if you just want to give a bottle of ebm or formula I tended to do that at the evening feeds when I had DH to help. He would give the bottle and I would pump at the same time. It was easier, otherwise you are giving bottle and then pumping. Takes double time.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm all good tips thanks ladies.
    After 6 to 8 weeks I will need two days a week of bottle feeding in the day (well not the whole day but ill assume at least one or two feeds) because I plan to continue uni and bub will be in care for those hours.
    I am really nervous about bfing and pumping as I absolutely LOATHE anything touching my boobs. Like angry tantruming loathe haha so I hope I get that 'mother' instinct that makes me not mind being a cow. That's the main reason I'm asking about formula, in case bfing/pumping just won't work (also if it doesn't work for other reasons).

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well if it's any consolation I was really weirded out by bf before I did it, then I became extremely protective over my daughter and was determined to do it. You might surprise yourself!
    (I only stopped because of medical reasons so was disappointed. Though never thought I would feel like that).
    Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like you are covering all your bases!
    If you plan to express and bf, make an appointment with the hospital to see a lactation consultant. They will write up a schedule for expressing, I expressed/comped/bf my son for a few months, having a schedule really helped me!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (10-03-2013)