+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Walking Tantrum

So, I read with envy posts about what to do WHEN your child tantrums! LOL! My 2 3/4 yo DD is, quite literally, a walking tantrum. I would say 90% of her waking time is spent screaming, whining, grumpy, saying no, refusing to do what I say. I have little rays of sunshine about 10% of the time. I try ignoring or telling her that I cannot understand her and will listen to her when she uses a nice voice. The fact that she tantrums 90% of the time suggests that this tactic isn't working. Every now and then I lose my cool (hey, you put up with it 8 hours a day - LOL again!) and yell but of course that only escalates the situation.

When I offer her a cuddle, she wants to be picked up whilst I am standing up which I can't do due to a bad back (I've explained that to her several times but I don't really think she gets it and she is in that typical 2 year old stage where her needs overrides everyone elses).

The question I would ask is should I be seeking professional help? I'm told that this could last until she is 4 and quite frankly I can't cope with another year and a bit of this! Or do I just have to suck it up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    what are your days like?

Is she bored?

Look at the 10% times...praise and more praise and look at the activities you are doing and try and do more.

Is she getting enough sleep? Is she hungry?

I find my DD gets cranky if we are too busy and she is not getting enough fun stuff to do. Reading books together or doing anything outside are her favourites so I make sure we do those every day.

What does she like doing?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks River Song. I think one of the problems is hunger, particularly in the morning - she just won't eat breakfast! I make her whatever she asks for but she doesn't eat it. I constantly make food available to her, and she does seem better after she has eaten 50% of the time, but she eats like a sparrow!

I also make sure we do activities that she likes, but obviously can't 100% of the time she is awake (for various reasons, including things like having to cook dinner, but also because I think she needs to learn to occupy herself). The issue is that she wants my attention ALL the time.

You've triggered a thought, though - I think I will keep a food/activity/tantrum diary and see if I can find out what exactly it is that she is tantruming agains. Thanks!

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I sympathise with you, my DD is unhappy, whinging or tantruming 50% of her awake time. I think you are awesome

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When my children play up, I ask myself how much sleep they've had, what they've eaten and look at other things like activities and attention.

No matter how much attention you give a 2 year old, it can never be enough.

I always take my children out in the morning to use up some energy, then we come home for lunch, then I go out in the afternoon as well. If I spend a bit of time with them, they're happy to do their own thing for a while whilst I make dinner etc.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 10-03-2013 at 19:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids tantrum from one of two things
    1. Lack of sleep
    2. House bound for too long/boredom
    When we have busy days I have 3 awesome kids, when we have quiet days I have 3 bored little terrors who seem to whinge and crack wobbles over everything and anything.
    If I have an awful day of carrying on one day I be sure the next day we aren't home. It's always better having half a good week then a full crud week

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hunger is a huge trigger for DD (and for me lmao) so I would look at that.

DD can be tricky at breakfast as well...so I normally have finger food for her like fresh cut fruit, toast cut with cookie cutters (she loves monkey toast lol), sometimes she will have some weetbix and purree apple but not often.

We always have to do the school run so she will often eat in the car as well.

Then we stop at a park on the way home to play before it gets to hot.

Then, at home, we do stuff together...often it is house work and she loves helping and getting involved. She will pour things into bowls or saucepans, stir things...and if i cannot have her helping I set her up with her "washing up bowl" and she washes the plastic stuff on the floor where I am working.

We also do painting and craft (she loves glueing stuff to paper like pom poms and paddle pop sticks and googly eyes)...paint with water is a big hit too. Often she can do these at the table while I am doing stuff too.

I let her help when we go grocery shopping...she has to walk along holding the trolley and then I give her things to go and get. She loves to tell people that she is a big girl doing the shopping.

She is now toilet trained which made the absolute world of difference...she is so much happier now.

We do kinder gymnastics every Friday and she loves that too.

I do try and avoid tantrums (but it doesn't always work)...but, the key really is to make sure she is not hungry and that she gets to have some rest. She doesn't sleep during the day anymore but we do lay down on the lounge together and watch a movie or play school at about 2pm - 3pm before heading back out on the school run.

good luck, hopefully your tide swings and it goes 90/10 the other way

11. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

mumkc  (11-03-2013)