+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Same as pp I never cooked fruit - DS had his first apple ( whole) at 10 months as he needed at least his front 4 teeth to nibble off little bits! ( don't peel your apples either - skin has lots of nutrients)
    Kiwi fruit, oranges, mandarins, blueberries ( cut in half for first month or so) pineapple, strawberries , mango, are all great BLW fruits!
    Remember to give a huge variety, not only as it gets them used to trying lots of different foods but nutritionally a varied diet is much better than giving the same thing all the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    So babies never choke with blw? I want to try it but worried about choking??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've never had a choking experience with my DS or any other babies I know that did BLW, DS gagged once on some brocolli, coughed, spat it out and kept eating!

Because they are eating whole food from the start they learn to pick up, bite and chew and at their own pace - unlike purees which they just swallow

Just make sure you read the book, it's amazing how clever they are at eating whole food if given the chance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    DD - farex and breastmilk at 6 months
    DS1 - Roast pumpkin BLW style at 5.5 months.
    DS2 - Cucumber sticks at approx 5 months corrected.

In terms of choking, we had no issues - they gag sometimes and cough it up and then go merrily on their way. I think a lot of people confuse choking with gagging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did BLW with my DD (my second child), mostly i just gave her part of what we were eating at 6 months, steamed corn is great, or any steamed veg, cucumber sticks and slices, melon is great for teething babies, rice, pieces of pasta. at this age its not even so much about eating it, as experiencing it. 2011-08-18 17.51.30.jpg

My DD has NEVER choked on food, a couple of coughs. My DS we gave mush and we had a few scary incidences with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD has gagged a bunch of times but as pp said - very different from choking. She just coughs and splutters a bit, spits it up and starts on another bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd will have a go at any food you put in front of her, my DS is so fussy. Well actually just after his 4th birthday he suddenly got hungry so has broadened his horizons a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's the book I should read?

Did you all panic when the gaged or do they cough it up quickly?

Really looking forward to doing it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baby Led Weaning by Gil Rapley , after reading the book you reaslise how natural it all is and she explains the difference between choking and gagging , I never had time to panic as DS corrected himself in a few seconds ! Look it up on you tube for some cute videos

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As Elijahs mum said it's so quick that there's no time to panic. And for my daughter anyway it's very clear to see that she's just coughing something up and it's nothing to worry about. The natural gag reflex is pretty impressive - which is why BLW is so easy and makes so much sense.

I second watching videos on YouTube! It'll reassure you and they're super cute