+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Everybody's views are different.
    Less different than it may appear on a forum such as this. The vast majority of parents neither engage in debates about circumcision nor circumcise their infant sons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dont get me wrong, if it did in fact stop the transmission of stis, then that would be a different thing. But it doesnt lessen the risk by much, the evidence is hardly compelling.

If it were beneficial, the government would recommend it, but they don't. That speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Some may feel that the opportunity to prevent infections or STI's as 'pros.' You obviously do not. A close friend's brother had an infection around 15 and had to have surgery which was really painful for him, because she witnessed that she chose to circumcise because she didn't want that risk for her baby. Like I said, you see it as unnecessary, others may see those reasons and find it necessary. Everybody's views are different.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (11-03-2013),Tainted  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not what bits you have that determines your STI risk, but what you do with those bits. Anyone who suggests otherwise is simply running an agenda that is totally disconnected from reality.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-03-2013),Lovemyfam  (11-03-2013),Tainted  (11-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    It's not what bits you have that determines your STI risk, but what you do with those bits. .
    And who you do it with!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-03-2013),JohnC  (11-03-2013),Tainted  (11-03-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    So if circing for religious reasons is good enough (for boys anyway) then how about the religions that marry off young girls to then start a family is this too ok?
    Exactly. It's ridiculous to suggest that anything is acceptable purely because it's done on religious grounds. Try taking that to its logical extreme and you'll be caught out pretty quickly!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Exactly. It's ridiculous to suggest that anything is acceptable purely because it's done on religious grounds. Try taking that to its logical extreme and you'll be caught out pretty quickly!
    Sigh. I can even understand the marrying off people in an arranged marriage. But I think the levels of disrespect for an entire culture and religion shown in these threads are horrible. How would you like to be told repeatedly and vocally that you‘re a horrendous, neglectful monster who mutilates your children and you should be severely punished for doing it, even though you are doing what you truly believe to be right in regards to caring for your children?

I think understanding would go a long way to furthering an anti-circle cause than the verbal slaughter it usually ends up with.

I don't know why I keep posting in these threads.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Sigh. I can even understand the marrying off people in an arranged marriage. But I think the levels of disrespect for an entire culture and religion shown in these threads are horrible. How would you like to be told repeatedly and vocally that you‘re a horrendous, neglectful monster who mutilates your children and you should be severely punished for doing it, even though you are doing what you truly believe to be right in regards to caring for your children?

I think understanding would go a long way to furthering an anti-circle cause than the verbal slaughter it usually ends up with.

Who or where are people being disrespectful? Where has anyone said or implied that Muslim or Jewish people are "horrendous, neglectful monsters who mutilate their children and should be severely punished for doing so"? I'm probably the most vocal about challenging RIC on religious grounds and the only time I've use descriptive words regarding the parents is:

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I'm not for one moment saying the parents of these children don't love their child, I fully respect they are doing what they believe to be in the very best interest of the child. The fact is that they are surgically altering their child without its consent.
    Hardly the "verbal slaughter" you describe it to be.

This thread has maintained itself rather well - there is nothing wrong with discussion and debate. If a post is attacking or breaches rules then report it. For what it's worth I have kept a pretty close eye on this thread and I don't think any of the posts have been report worthy let alone edit worthy (and I say that as an exMod).

I get that challenging religious practices is a taboo subject but that doesn't mean it should be above challenge; nothing should be immune from challenge/criticism. .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No one has said that people who circ for religious reasons are "horrendous neglectful monsters" and. No one has said anyone should be severely punished for having there sons done

I will just say, that times change, there a lots of things in the bible that used to be acceptable and that are not anymore.

I personally would not consider myself an anti circ person, but rather, an anti making changes to someone when they don't have the ability to consent person.

Having said all that, I don't feel negatively towards the parents at all, they are doing what they feel is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No one has said that people who circ for religious reasons are "horrendous neglectful monsters" and. No one has said anyone should be severely punished for having there sons done

I will just say, that times change, there a lots of things in the bible that used to be acceptable and that are not anymore.

I personally would not consider myself an anti circ person, but rather, an anti making changes to someone when they don't have the ability to consent person.

Having said all that, I don't feel negatively towards the parents at all, they are doing what they feel is best.
    Mm. Sorry. But if someone was going around saying I'm mutilating my children then that is exactly how I would take it. Wouldn't you? And there has been people in this thread saying they should be punished.
    I never read ‘‘I understand why you do it, I just don't agree. And here is why.‘‘ instead its mutilation, or changing someone who is already perfect, implying they make their children imperfect. Etc etc. As I said, I'm neither for nor against it. I just understand it and why it's done. And as I also said, if people really want others to stop circumsizing their children, I believe understanding would go a long way.
    Which means understanding you want someone to go directly against Gods instruction and potentially put their childrens immortal soul in jeopardy. Understanding that you want thousands and thouands of years of instrucrion to go by the wayside. Understanding doesn't equate to agreeance, but it might help people to get their arguments heard, rather than people feeling attacked.

And as for the female version of circing, I've not read the Qua‘ran(sp), but once I'm done with the Bible I will, but I think thats a cultural thing more than religious and culture is far easier to change than religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd venture a guess that culture is also very difficult to change. But you are right, changing religious practices of any kind is difficult.

I don't use the word mutilate in terms of circ. but I still don't understand why people do it. But then again I don't understand people who follow religion without question either (coming from a reformed Catholics perspective

I do think there are ways to talk about this topic without resorting to inflammatory attacks. And you are right, it is best to remain respectful.