+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Your routine

I'm pregnant with baby#3 and have officially left fulltime work.

I have a 9 year old at school, and a2 year old who will be coming out of daycare now that I'm not working,I'm looking for a educational routine I can start with her to keep her mind active and to keep up with the learning she received at daycare.

What's the routine at your place?!

Sent from my iPhone :-)

mummybynature is offline Loving every moment of motherhood <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love some ideas too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't have a routine, learn through play. Play based learning is what kids need before school, rather than structured learning. So, how does that mean you 'teach'? Well, you have things in the house that stimulate learning and simply follow her lead and/or do what you are in the mood for.

Suggested stuff to have around:
    Puzzles - all different types that are suitable for her age (ie. not too many pieces, still keep the pieces big) - we also had an alphabet train puzzle that was 2m long when complete. That's how we taught our ds the alphabet when he was 2.
    Paint/pencils/glue/stickers - all fantastic for fun fine motor skill training - go for a walk & find fun stuff to paste onto cardboard - always fun, especially now that Autumn is on the way and leaves will be all over the ground!
    Books - have a wide assortment of books and read to her when she wants it - that might be for 2 minutes, or 20 minutes, but let her lead you - she is developing her interests.
    Duplo/Blocks/etc - great for fine motor skills & creative play - make sure she has some 'people' to play with along with her blocks and let her build!
    Cooking - it's a necessary part of life, but to a 2yo it's FUN! It teaches fine motor skills (holding a measuring cup, doing some mixing, etc) and it teaches numbers ('2 cups', etc). My ds loves to help me cook, especially baking.
    Walking/Riding/Scootering/Playgrounds/etc - when you can get outside and encourage outdoor play - that will help with her gross motor development.

This is probably all stuff you know, but I know it can be super daunting to leave full time work and suddenly be in charge of a pre-schooler. I did it 2 years ago and was quite overwhelmed at first. In terms of a daily routine, I wouldn't have a strict one, you'll just need to change it too much, do don't stress yourself out by trying to force yourself into one. Sure, plan meals & naps (for both of you!) and plan to clean up the play area probably before dinner (much later & your 2yo will probably be too tired), but otherwise don't stress.

Oh & one more thing - talk to your dd a lot. Talk about stuff going on during the day, talk about the colours & shapes of things that you are seeing. Count stuff that you see, whether that's bottles of drink you are putting in the shopping trolley, or swings at the park, etc. That is all so important for verbal language development and it will be a great start.

Enjoy being at home!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (09-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you mim1!!!!!
    Infallible info right there and as obvious as it was I was looking at this from a regimented schedule rather then what you have suggested ( must be the career side come out!)

Thank up so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone :-)