+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need opinions re: moving DD to her own room

DD is 7 months and though we were sure we'd keep her in our room until 12 months we're thinking about moving her to her own room pretty soon. She is a VERY light sleeper and will often wake because we rustle the quilt, or one of our ankles crack etc. We've had a pretty seriously rough time with her sleep and after persisting with a fairly set routine for a few weeks we are starting to see some improvement thankfully! We still think she would sleep a lot better in her own room though (right next to ours). We would too.

My issue is that DSD (15) is with us every second weekend, generally only for one night though (getting way too cool for us). As we only have a 2-bedroom place, this is where her bed is, and where we will be moving DD to.

I really don't want DSD to have to be disturbed by DD's night wakings/us going in to her or for DSD to have to tiptoe around etc. DP doesn't think this is such a big problem but I know how important space is to a 15 yr old girl and I want her to have that when she's with us.

So the only obvious solution to me is to have DD sleep with us the one night a fortnight that DSD is here. Do you think it will totally mess with her sleep? I suppose I am stressed because we have had a really hard few months sleep wise (between 10-20 wakings a night), co-slept our way through most of it until I couldn't handle that anymore and now that we are seeing good changes I am terrified of screwing it up!

The other option is bringing her cot into our room while DSD is here but that means dismantling it to get it in and out of the rooms. Not appealing.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this won't totally muck things up! But I'm well aware that nobody can say for sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The only way you'll know is to try.
    I think it would be fine.
    As an aside i shared my room with my baby sister when i was a teenager and it didn't bother me. I think most teens can sleep though anything and it was only at night so i still had my room as my own the rest of the time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you just use a portacot in your room for that one night per fortnight?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you co sleep on the nights DSD is with you?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I think I'm just over thinking it. DSD is just quite a private girl and I guess I don't want to intrude on her space. Also I'm worried that bringing DD out into our room to feed her will wake her up too much.

As you said I'll only know if I try! It really probably doesn't need as much thought as I'm giving it haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Can you just use a portacot in your room for that one night per fortnight?
    I hadn't thought of that (dur). The ILs have one that we could borrow! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Can you co sleep on the nights DSD is with you?
    This is what we were planning to do, I'm just worried it'll mess up her routine. But she's in our bed every morning from 5 or so, so maybe not? I really don't like co-sleeping though, I'm such a light sleeper (maybe she gets it from me).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    I hadn't thought of that (dur). The ILs have one that we could borrow! Thanks
    That way she won't be too messed around, still used to going in own bed etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    That way she won't be too messed around, still used to going in own bed etc
    I can't believe I didn't think of it! She slept in it just last weekend at the ILs haha. Thanks so much!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a tip on the portacot, you may find you want to place a sheet/blanket over the side that faces your bed so she does not see you when she wakes. We travelled a lot with DD from 6-18months and whenever she was in our room we found this helped her wake at her normal times only.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (08-03-2013)