+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rolling and frequent night wakings.

My cute almost 5 months bub has just started to roll from back to tummy since last Saturday. I think this new skill is causing more night wakings (he's still kinda asleep but would whinge/cry, it can be hourly) which means I having to check on him several times a night. I have to pick him up to resettle him or re-adjust his little body to put him back to sleep. He has one night feed about 1am.

Did your baby experience more night wakings due to this newfound skill?

Did you try flipping bub over every time he rolls onto his tummy, or just encourage bub sleep on his tummy?

If you allow tummy sleeping, when do you start letting bub do that? As soon as he begins this back to tummy skill? Or do you wait?

Mine has rolled over once during nap and once at night so far but he certainly didn't look comfy...whinging in his sleep so I had to rescue him. He hasn't done tummy to back yet.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes def more night wakings for a while... Sometimes he figures out how to roll back onto his back and sometimes he just falls asleep on his tummy (which I'm comfortable with).

It was annoying when he started rolling onto his front and got stuck/annoyed there every time so I had to roll him back lol!

Only lasted a few weeks though. Sometimes happens during day naps too but usually just at the start of the nap and then he is fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, our 4 month old has been rolling onto his tummy in his sleep for a week or so now as well.

The last few nights he has managed to stay asleep after doing it which is lovely. However...he is still waking himself up a good 70% of the time when he does it. He can roll from tummy to back when awake but apparently believes its much easier to call mum and dad and have them flip him back during the night :P So in a nutshell - yes - we are getting quite a few night wakings!

If he is asleep on his tummy I leave him be. I have seen him shift his head from side to side in his sleep to keep his airways clear so I don't have any concerns in that regard. Our issue is he is still in his Love to Dream 50-50 swaddle - wings on. Our goal now is to get them off ASAP and hope the extra mobility will help him stay asleep (once he gets used to arms free anyway...)

Initially when I was settling him to sleep if he rolled onto his tummy I would flip him back over. Now I leave him be to give him a chance to fall asleep tummy down...and he's started to do that more frequently.

He's napping as I type - went to sleep on his back. I checked him at an hour and he was on his side. I checked him again at 1.5 hours (after hearing a little whimper) and he was on his tummy, head to the side, still fast asleep. He's learning!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lyria7 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep we had many night wakings as well with this new skill - I was comfortable with him sleeping on his tummy so after one night of repeatedly turning him back onto his back, only for him to flip onto his tummy again, I spent the next couple of nights rubbing his back when he flipped over, which helped him calm down and go to sleep. He now preferentially sleeps on his tummy - only took a couple of nights for him to learn.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyChubbles For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad that my bub isnt the only one haha! Thanks for the replies!

Lyria7, wow your bub seems to roll so well in his 50/50 swaddle wings on. My bub was in the love to dream too but it's the original and I couldnt allow arms out at all. He was seemingly wrestling the swaddle perhaps becos he was trying to roll. So I have now managed to get him to nap and sleep in his muslim sleeping bag...3rd day now...Face up still getting startles but sideway is much better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yep... had that problem 4mths ago. then we had the problem where she would start to practice crawling in the cot.

now its standing up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum2 - he does rather! we've tried pinning him down with a sheet...still rolls beneath it lol. He's a Houdini! Which was why we went for the love to dream to start with. We couldnt keep a muslin wrap on him. He gets right up on his elbows whilst in the sleep suit, sometimes on his knees as well. The 50-50 does have extra room and he's a skinny bub so its more sleep sack than swaddle on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get a Safe T Sleep? it holds bub in place so he can't move around

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have researched about it, but am sure I won't like using it. Some reviews say the Velcro makes loud noises which startle baby. I think once bub masters his rolling skill will just let him sleep anyhow he wants. Anyway most of us move a fair bit while sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lyria7 View Post
    Mum2 - he does rather! we've tried pinning him down with a sheet...still rolls beneath it lol. He's a Houdini! Which was why we went for the love to dream to start with. We couldnt keep a muslin wrap on him. He gets right up on his elbows whilst in the sleep suit, sometimes on his knees as well. The 50-50 does have extra room and he's a skinny bub so its more sleep sack than swaddle on him.
    This is my little girl exactly!!!