+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This happens with school too! Drives me mental. Dss and ds are both home sick cause of other kids. Grr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Candieco- I'm a nanny and last year while pregnant I worked for three separate families who all had children that went to childcare part-time. I often cared for them all while sick but then would get sick in turn and pass it on to another family as the instances of parents still being desperate for childcare don't change when you or their children are sick. Before we got pregnant I put my foot down and said everyone needed to tell me when they're children were sick and let me be the judge of whether I thought it was ok to work or not (often I would get to work with parents running out the door quickly telling me so and so had been up all night with a fever). We ended up loosing our baby girl at 20 weeks in December. I tested positive for CMV so now know all about it and its dangers since we went a few weeks thinking it was the reason our baby died. Last week I met with an infectious disease doc and its confirmed that is not why our precious baby girl died (after also meeting with geneticists we do not have a conclusive answer and will never know what happened). But CMV is so dangerous! And often times a child will appear to just have a cold. It's passed through any bodily fluid (snot, saliva, dirty nappies, etc). So the best thing you can do is constantly wash your hands and don't share food (even with your DS). CMV is most dangerous if you've never had it before so if your early pregnancy blood work came up with IgG antibodies you're most likely ok. IgG are the antibodies that show you've had a particular virus in the past and have built up immunity. There are so many other young childhood viruses that are dangerous to a fetus though (parvovirus is also one) so it is best for parents (working or not) to just understand that their actions can effect anyone and everyone and to keep their child at home if they are sick.
    I'm so sorry to hear hugs xx

Your right though, sicknesses that can appear less severe in young children can be extremely dangerous to other people especially pregnant mothers and their unborn babies

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I'm fine with runny noses etc it's just a part of daycare. My kids both were on the snotty-nose-merry-go-round last winter.

But sending a kid with a high temperature knowing they are very sick - that's really really sad. Poor kid. And not fair on the other kids that will get sick, the carers, and parents.
    I agree with this completely.

I took so much time off work with DS1 that each year I ran out of leave and my pay was docked. We didn't have much slack in our budget, and it hurt. But it's one of the costs of having children; when they're sick someone has to care for them.

And given how strict I was about my own child, you can imagine how furious I was when others sent theirs in to infect him!

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sad thing is people do not care how bad a common cold can be until it nearly kills one of there own same with gastro so many think its just am inconvenience but for many it's much more

But every time this comes up on bh people say that if th ey don't work they don't get payed and that not realising that is selfish but well if a days pay is more important than a kids life then I guess that's a difference in priorities

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (09-03-2013),beebs  (09-03-2013),MummaJez  (09-03-2013),peanutmonkey  (09-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (09-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    Yeah its why even a common 'cold' can be dangerous, I won't go near bubbas even with a cold.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    Yes this, *just* a runny nose can result in a full blown asthma attack in some children ( mine included)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is one of my pet hates especially the last two nights!!! I was having car trouble the other day & spent a bit of time in my sons childcare waiting for my DH to be my night in shining armour when I saw & overheard a parent hand off their sick kid to the carers telling them what the dr had said the previous afternoon about administering antibiotics. This kid was clearly sick & should not have been there & another parent had said that their kid was fine as the day before she had a temp of 40 😳

So the last two days have been pure hell as my son is terribly sick & has croup and I am 9 months pregnant😡 great way to get ready for the birth of my second child.

It was heart breaking to see my normal vibrant child limp & lifeless because of a few selfish people!

I know that he got sick from childcare cause no one else he has been in contact with is sick.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lennie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have literally had 3 weeks of constant illness here. First gastro brought home from daycare that went through the whole family and this week the flu also brought home from daycare. DS is 6 months and has only been going 3 weeks. I work 4 days a week and DP works nights and we have no family to help. We would never send the kids if they were obviously sick and we're on a super tight budget.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aroha0509 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=ICanDream;7126866]I was shocked by this too, I picked DD up really early one day and this poor child was lying on a bean bag looking miserable. The carer commented that they had hoped when the door opened it was the child's parent, they'd rung 2hrs prior and still no sign of them. Felt so sorry for the child, they clearly weren't well.[/QUOTE

you would be surprised at how many parents wont even answer the phone to begin with or when you call them at work they are never there/at lunch/in a meeting it is always the same ones we have had parents even answer the call then turn their mobiles off to restrict contact and not take calls at work it is very disturbing that some parents juts dont care

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Just a question that im not sure about. If daycare calls a parent to pick up a sick child and they are taking hours to get there does the daycare call the other contacts on your list to pick the child up?
    ​At my center yes i do if we can not contact the parents within 1/2 hour then i will call the emergency contacts and if we contact the parent and they do not arrive within 1 hour ( unless told initially it will be like 1.5 hrs etc as we do understand travel time) we will try and call again if we get no answer or we get them saying i got held up etc we will call the emergency contact and usually its them who will collect and its not even their child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    If this is as common as it would seem from this thread, it makes me wonder what is wrong with our society that so many people can't even take the time to be with their sick kids?
    I don't give the possible loss of $ a thought, if my child is sick he stays home and so do I for as long as I need to. Children come first and if my boss happened to not like it well that would be too bad but my boss and colleagues have kids themselves so they understand. With ds2's reoccurring tonsilitis over the past year it's been necessary for ds and I to have to stay home and ds loses big $ when he has to have time off but that's just the way it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=mumma2ajem;7128882]
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I was shocked by this too, I picked DD up really early one day and this poor child was lying on a bean bag looking miserable. The carer commented that they had hoped when the door opened it was the child's parent, they'd rung 2hrs prior and still no sign of them. Felt so sorry for the child, they clearly weren't well.[/QUOTE

you would be surprised at how many parents wont even answer the phone to begin with or when you call them at work they are never there/at lunch/in a meeting it is always the same ones we have had parents even answer the call then turn their mobiles off to restrict contact and not take calls at work it is very disturbing that some parents juts dont care

​At my center yes i do if we can not contact the parents within 1/2 hour then i will call the emergency contacts and if we contact the parent and they do not arrive within 1 hour ( unless told initially it will be like 1.5 hrs etc as we do understand travel time) we will try and call again if we get no answer or we get them saying i got held up etc we will call the emergency contact and usually its them who will collect and its not even their child
    This is disgusting behaviour. If I ever see on my phone a call from DS daycare/Kindy I RUSH to pick it up knowing sonethung is wrong.

What would happen if these parents ignored phone calls and it was emergency and they had to be taken to hospital???