+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    Bronchiolitis can't be caught,
    The virus that causes the bronchials to swell can (4 common ones go around each season, most common one is rsv)

Most adults or children with the virus display mild cold symptoms,

My ds caught a 'cold' at 3 weeks and at 7 weeks we were hospitalised 45 minutes with a bad Rsv infection which had let to bronchiolitis and required constant oxygen for 6 days to help him breath,

So even a common 'cold' virus can be very dangerous.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    Sorry, it was RSV, she also developed a bacterial infection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I haven't read all the posts but just wanted to make people aware of the other dangers of sending your sick child to childcare as I have just recently dealt with one. CMV. CMV is a flu/cold-like virus most likely spread by small children since most adults have already had it as children and built up immunity. To adults and children it is harmless but to an unborn baby it can be fatal and cause birth defects. It is very dangerous for pregnant women who work with young children. You often never know you caught it and there is also nothing that can be done if you do. It is the most common infection that causes fetal death or problems to an unborn baby but many people have never heard of it. Something to consider for any parent that wants to load their sick child off to childcare.
    This is exactly what I'm worried about as well. I'm 18 weeks pregnant and work full time with DS in daycare 2 days a week and with dp on other days. Annoys me that other parents don't consider that their sick kids could possibly affect me or my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    Bronchiolitis can't be caught,
    The virus that causes the bronchials to swell can (4 common ones go around each season, most common one is rsv)

Most adults or children with the virus display mild cold symptoms,

My ds caught a 'cold' at 3 weeks and at 7 weeks we were hospitalised 45 minutes with a bad Rsv infection which had let to bronchiolitis and required constant oxygen for 6 days to help him breath,

So even a common 'cold' virus can be very dangerous.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    This happened to my DS2 at 9 weeks. Horribly scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some of these stories are terrible..i was thinking abut it just being runny noses. I cannot believe ppl actually send kids to care who have gastro!omg. High temps, have been vomiting. Wtf is going on? I feel sorry for the workers as well as the kids. I just cant fathom how u could send in your own child in who was so ill. But do centres actually do anything, cos it sounds like a lot don't and what can you do when a parent says they cant or wont get there? Surely something is going awry if this stuff happens 'all the time'.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    At our centre the rule is that they can't come in until at least 48 hours after vomiting and 24 after a fever has broken. Cold and flu is fine as long as they can cope with being at care.

DS was sick this week. I could have sent him yesterday but he was still unhappy so I didn't think it would be fair. Much better today so I sent him off with a runny nose but apart from that he was happy.

I follow the rules to the letter - but I have a wonderful employer, as does DH, and we share the days off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Candieco- I'm a nanny and last year while pregnant I worked for three separate families who all had children that went to childcare part-time. I often cared for them all while sick but then would get sick in turn and pass it on to another family as the instances of parents still being desperate for childcare don't change when you or their children are sick. Before we got pregnant I put my foot down and said everyone needed to tell me when they're children were sick and let me be the judge of whether I thought it was ok to work or not (often I would get to work with parents running out the door quickly telling me so and so had been up all night with a fever). We ended up loosing our baby girl at 20 weeks in December. I tested positive for CMV so now know all about it and its dangers since we went a few weeks thinking it was the reason our baby died. Last week I met with an infectious disease doc and its confirmed that is not why our precious baby girl died (after also meeting with geneticists we do not have a conclusive answer and will never know what happened). But CMV is so dangerous! And often times a child will appear to just have a cold. It's passed through any bodily fluid (snot, saliva, dirty nappies, etc). So the best thing you can do is constantly wash your hands and don't share food (even with your DS). CMV is most dangerous if you've never had it before so if your early pregnancy blood work came up with IgG antibodies you're most likely ok. IgG are the antibodies that show you've had a particular virus in the past and have built up immunity. There are so many other young childhood viruses that are dangerous to a fetus though (parvovirus is also one) so it is best for parents (working or not) to just understand that their actions can effect anyone and everyone and to keep their child at home if they are sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Umm if the parent actually said that to the childcare worker and they didn't send them home then I'd be angry at the childcare worker as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I refuse to send my kids to any sort of care when they are sick. I know plenty of parents who dose their kids up with panadole and send them off hoping they will be fine. It's just not right, specially for the sick child! The cost of life makes things very hard though..I feel for single parents who are forced to go back to work when their child turns 8 and families who struggle from week to week. It's tough just to get work atm...having to call in sick all the time to take care of your sick child....but also desperately needing the income....it can be a very difficult situation. I tried to return to work and put my 12 month old in family day care...lucky I never did find a job as the 2 days per week she was meant to go she couldn't because she wasn't well. I ended up pulling her out as I was paying for nothing and I would have let my employment down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    My partner drops DS to daycare and overhears a mum saying to daycare staff 'my child is really sick and has a high temp, can you keep an eye on him?'

From my point of view this is so NOT OK! Is it unreasonable to expect very sick kids to be kept home?
    If that was said to any of my kids carers...they would have been sent straight back home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Umm if the parent actually said that to the childcare worker and they didn't send them home then I'd be angry at the childcare worker as well.
    Good point! The particular staff member is a really nice gentle lady. I can't see her being forceful with a parent. Thinking of talking to the director.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (08-03-2013)