+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can't even imagine how stressful it must be relying on a job to eat but being told you can't have more time off. I was told I had to come in one day when DS was sick, and I had to leave him with my mother. I'm very privilidged to have my parents who can sometimes watch him and my DP has him today during a pupil free day and I am the only one in the office so a nice, cruisy day off is just off the cards. I can definitely empathise. At least they have an excuse. With a parent at home able to care for a sick child, I can't see what the excuse could be apart from they were in hospital or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    My partner drops DS to daycare and overhears a mum saying to daycare staff 'my child is really sick and has a high temp, can you keep an eye on him?'

From my point of view this is so NOT OK! Is it unreasonable to expect very sick kids to be kept home?
    Most childcare centres wouldn't allow that. Temp of 38 or more is automatic 24 hour exclusion at my children's daycare and preschool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD has started pre prep this year. They are very strict about illness. Temp over 38 they must be collected. 24 hours must pass after vomiting or a fever before kids return. 48 hours of antibiotics if they're needed before they can come back. I realise its difficult to police but they make no bones about it at all and I'm grateful.

I have friends who are shockers for sending their kids to daycare when sick. Their 18 month old had a diarrhoea bug a few weeks ago. The centre rang to say she was very unwell and my friend said, well my husband and I are at work! Wtf! I saw red

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read any replies but I work in childcare and this happens all the time. It's really frustrating. Some parents just dose them up on panadol and send them in. If the temp returns it's our policy that they must be picked up. Unfortunately not all care about spreading germs and sickness. I understand sometimes people have to work and have no option but personally my child comes first and I won't hesitate to take a day off if she's unwell

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Jakeysmummy90  (08-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    I lost count of how many times I saw incredibly ill babies laying in the arms of a child care worker, so limp, not moving and barely any clothes on because they have a very high temp.
    Parents were waiting until after 5 to pick them up. Made me so sad, when babies are sick they need their mummy's or daddy's and need to be at home in their own surroundings.
    Awww this makes me so sad

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    If this is as common as it would seem from this thread, it makes me wonder what is wrong with our society that so many people can't even take the time to be with their sick kids?
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a question that im not sure about. If daycare calls a parent to pick up a sick child and they are taking hours to get there does the daycare call the other contacts on your list to pick the child up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley595 View Post
    After working in childcare before my son was born I was really worried about sending him to kindy thank god at his family daycare all the parents respect the rules and don't send their child if there's even so much as a slightly runny nose.

I have witnessed first hand children in daycare who have needed to be taken to hospital with things like pneumonia and bronchiolitus yet the parents still sent them knowing full well they were very sick! I could never leave my son with anyone else when he's sick all he wants is mummy cuddles and rest
    My daughter caught bronchiolitis from another baby at daycare when she was 4 months old, it was very clear the baby should not have been there, the carers were having to use an aspirator to clear her nose before feeds. 2 days later DD is is hospital on a feeding tube, extremely dehydrated from constant vomiting, high temps. She was kept in for 2 nights, staff told me how lucky we were that we acted when we did to get her seen to, things could have been so much worse. My DH wants to send DD to daycare when he is sick, I always remind him of her hospital stay and how she ended up there, he quickly changes his mind.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AJJM For This Useful Post:

Ashley595  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a privilidged life we all lead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    What a privilidged life we all lead.
    Yes, definitely (that is not sarcastic!)

However, if this is really such a common problem, surely not every child's parents are on the breadline? And if they are, then we have big problems as a society.

I am usually the first to assume the best of people, but this seems like a pretty big problem. Not just for the immediate consequences either.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-03-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast