+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    This is precisely the reason DS2 will not go to daycare.

He has a horrible immune system and spent most of his first 2 years of his life sick. Not just a cold, enough to be hospitalised a few times. Rotavirus was going around DS1' s daycare and DS2 managed to catch it. People were sending their kids with diarrhea, with no care for the other kids who were catching it.

Unfortunately a common cold in normal kids can make my son incredibly sick for weeks on end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is one thing that I do find very selfish.

Obviously if you don't realise your child is coming down with something there's nothing you can do about it, but to knowingly send a very sick child to daycare/kinder/school is unfair on everyone, especially the sick child.

My heart goes out to the parents who have no support, but surely they would be the ones that would understand the potential seriousness of sharing bad illness better than anyone?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    This is precisely the reason DS2 will not go to daycare.

He has a horrible immune system and spent most of his first 2 years of his life sick. Not just a cold, enough to be hospitalised a few times. Rotavirus was going around DS1' s daycare and DS2 managed to catch it. People were sending their kids with diarrhea, with no care for the other kids who were catching it.

Unfortunately a common cold in normal kids can make my son incredibly sick for weeks on end.
    This. My son has asthma and a mild cold can set it off and we can end up in ER. Thankfully we are in a position that I can be a SAHM. I understand not every one else is able to do that but no matter how horrible your boss may be there's no excuse for sending a sick kid to daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    This. My son has asthma and a mild cold can set it off and we can end up in ER. Thankfully we are in a position that I can be a SAHM. I understand not every one else is able to do that but no matter how horrible your boss may be there's no excuse for sending a sick kid to daycare.
    I do empathise but as a SAHM have you ever been in that situation with a horrible boss?

I do agree that daycare is not ideal for kids who get sick a lot. Not because I think it's ok to send a sick kid to daycare as I definitely don't, but because illnesses will be passed round regardless. Mainly because often parents are not aware as their kids don't get ill until after dropoff.

I've not been in the situation myself but I can imagine how hard it must be for some people. Imagine a single mother with a horrible boss who says they will fire her if she doesn't come to work (and the mother doesn't realise this is illegal). Not many people in that situation would have the luxury of just losing their jobs. It's a bit simplistic to say there is no excuse.

I realise this is a very specific example and wouldn't happen that often though! And yes as a mother with a kid in daycare I would be annoyed. But I don't think many parents would willingly send their sick baby to daycare.

Runny noses are just part of being a kid. At my centre they are allowed to go as long as its not green snot and they have no fever, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If this is as common as it would seem from this thread, it makes me wonder what is wrong with our society that so many people can't even take the time to be with their sick kids?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (08-03-2013),SoThisIsLove  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Very annoying. For some kids a bout of something can be worse than for others. My DS2 is fine generally, but if he gets a virus it can trigger severe asthma attacks - the hospital type. He can go a year with no issues and then catches something and it is all on.

It is such a hard situation though. I am lucky because I am at home at the moment, if the kids are sick, I can keep them home. But we have no family to help us here, so if I was working - I am not sure what I would be able to do. It is a difficult situation for some.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I really REALLY feel for those parents who have no choice. It's not just people who don't realise it's illegal to threaten someone with loosing their job. Think of people who are casuals who simply won't be given hours anymore if they don't show for work. Legally they can get away with it.

We don't have any friends or family here so when DH is working again and I'm back at work if one or both of our kids is sick one of us HAS to be able to pick them up. Luckily in most instances I will be able to, but not everyone has that luxury.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I do empathise but as a SAHM have you ever been in that situation with a horrible boss?

I do agree that daycare is not ideal for kids who get sick a lot. Not because I think it's ok to send a sick kid to daycare as I definitely don't, but because illnesses will be passed round regardless. Mainly because often parents are not aware as their kids don't get ill until after dropoff.

I've not been in the situation myself but I can imagine how hard it must be for some people. Imagine a single mother with a horrible boss who says they will fire her if she doesn't come to work (and the mother doesn't realise this is illegal). Not many people in that situation would have the luxury of just losing their jobs. It's a bit simplistic to say there is no excuse.

I realise this is a very specific example and wouldn't happen that often though! And yes as a mother with a kid in daycare I would be annoyed. But I don't think many parents would willingly send their sick baby to daycare.

Runny noses are just part of being a kid. At my centre they are allowed to go as long as its not green snot and they have no fever, etc.
    Actually in my experience, it was the SAHM's that were sending their kids to daycare sick. At the centre my oldest went to anyway.

I completely understand that kids are sometimes contagious before we realise and no one is to blame then obviously. But the amount of parents who dont seem to bat an eyelid at dropping their obviously sick kid off is disgraceful. There was a kid one day who got dropped off with so much green gunk in his eyes and nose that it made me feel sick to my stomach to see - and the mother didnt care.

I understand its frustrating paying through the roof for care wheb your kid is well, let alone sick and cant attend but some people truly just dont give a damn.

And yup im lucky enough to be able to not have to work at the moment but I have also sacraficed a hell of a lot to be able to do it so that my son has a better chance at staying healthy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read all the posts but just wanted to make people aware of the other dangers of sending your sick child to childcare as I have just recently dealt with one. CMV. CMV is a flu/cold-like virus most likely spread by small children since most adults have already had it as children and built up immunity. To adults and children it is harmless but to an unborn baby it can be fatal and cause birth defects. It is very dangerous for pregnant women who work with young children. You often never know you caught it and there is also nothing that can be done if you do. It is the most common infection that causes fetal death or problems to an unborn baby but many people have never heard of it. Something to consider for any parent that wants to load their sick child off to childcare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS1 when through a really rough period where it was soo ill and no one could work out why, he literally missed an entire year over a two year period of Preschool, It wasn't contagious, but he was so poorly there is no way I was going to send him. We ended up around $4000 out of pocket through missed days.

I too don't understand why anyone would send a sick child to care, unless they have a good reason, single, no family, awful boss etc etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast