+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had the same issue bedlover, my DS was 'sick' for months on end with a cough and clear runny nose. There is sometimes a need for discretion because a cough/sneeze doesn't always mean contagious or even sick, they're more than happy to go about their day.

My DS also came home from school a few weeks vomiting. There's just no way that could've been predicted and he probably did pass the virus on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never knowingly sent my kids to daycare with anything more than a clear runny nose, this runny nose went on forever and I spoke to the centre and they assured me that clear runny nose was ok.

I did however, once send my DS to daycare only to be rung 2hrs later and he was vomiting - I truly had no idea he was unwell, he'd eaten breakfast, been playing, was chatting normally. Poor kid ended up in hospital 2 days later from dehydration. We too just had no inkling he was sick, we apologised profusely to the centre, we felt terrible As much as it cost us a fortune we kept him home for ages after he got out of hospital just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work ful time (when I'm not on mat leave) I have occasionally had calls from cc to say one of my girls has a fever or is unsettled- I leave work straight away and go and get them.... I picked the youngest up once with a fever and the carer was shocked I arrived 20 min after they called- they had called 4 other parents the same day and all had been over 4 hours in getting there. And no I don't work in an office or area where I'm not missed I nurse in a busy ward but thankfully my work understands my kids come first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    oh its always fun as a carer when you have a parent say I am NOT coming to collect my (vomiting / high temp etc) child til 3pm :/ you're like uhm no, your kid is sick they need to be at home
    I was shocked by this too, I picked DD up really early one day and this poor child was lying on a bean bag looking miserable. The carer commented that they had hoped when the door opened it was the child's parent, they'd rung 2hrs prior and still no sign of them. Felt so sorry for the child, they clearly weren't well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I tend to panic when I get the calls that he's sick. Thankfully it's not often, but I really shouldn't be driving when it does happen :\ I can't imagine leaving him there for hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    My partner drops DS to daycare and overhears a mum saying to daycare staff 'my child is really sick and has a high temp, can you keep an eye on him?'

From my point of view this is so NOT OK! Is it unreasonable to expect very sick kids to be kept home?
    No it's not ok and the daycare should have told the parent to take her sick child home. If daycare calls me re ds having a high temp etc i pick him up straight away. Nor do I take my ds to daycare if he has a high temp or is obviously unwell. If he has the common cold re runny nose and isn't sick, he is his normal little happy self well then he will go to daycare and usually there's a lot of kids there with the same there anyway. It's more often than not going around at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I could never in good conscious send any child of mine somewhere sick.
    This is it exactly for me. DS had a rough week last week where he was extra clingy and just missed mummy. My FDC mum called me to tell me he's just so sad being away from me so i was out the door at work within 10mins and had the next day off also.

DS is in a small non registered FDC. There are times where parents have sent their kids with runny/snotty noses but none have ever sent their kids being miserably sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fine with runny noses etc it's just a part of daycare. My kids both were on the snotty-nose-merry-go-round last winter.

But sending a kid with a high temperature knowing they are very sick - that's really really sad. Poor kid. And not fair on the other kids that will get sick, the carers, and parents.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    oh its always fun as a carer when you have a parent say I am NOT coming to collect my (vomiting / high temp etc) child til 3pm :/ you're like uhm no, your kid is sick they need to be at home
    Oh I know. So frustrating.

I've been called though to tell me katelyn had diarrhoea. I doubted it - tried to get a detailed description over the phone but it was the assistance director not her carer on the phone. She'd said it was all through her clothes. It wasn't, when I did the washing it was a smudge. I tried to explain that's just her poo, she doesn't do formed poos. But benefit of the doubt came and collected my perfectly healthy baby half an hour after I'd dropped her off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS was in daycare he was sick every second week and had to take off every second week of daycare be aide of this.

I lost count of how many times I saw incredibly ill babies laying in the arms of a child care worker, so limp, not moving and barely any clothes on because they have a very high temp.
    Parents were waiting until after 5 to pick them up. Made me so sad, when babies are sick they need their mummy's or daddy's and need to be at home in their own surroundings.

But in saying this DS immune system built up pretty quick. It was the worst 2 winters in my life. DH and I got no sleep and watching a very sick baby every night was so awful and really took a toll on my mental health too

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast