+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am starting a new job next week and DS starts daycare at the same time!

Really hoping he won't be sick too often. He is 9 months and never even had a cold so has a good immune system but obviously he will get some things...

Will just need to take unpaid leave if I have to take time off and DH will need to take some days too (less easy for him though due to nature of his job).

We have no family in Australia and all my friends who don't work have kids so obviously couldn't ask them to look after my sick kid with their own kid in tow.

It's so hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It must be so terrible for the poor little ones stuck at day care sick when all they want is to be at home with their mummy.

Ive been told once you send ur kids to daycare they start getting sick alot, im guessing because parents send their kids in sick. Not fair. Hard on the parents too if their boss gives them a hard time.

I wonder can a boss sack you for taking time off for caring for a sick child? What if ur child gets sick alot, whats a parent supposed to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is VERY hard for an employer to sack you for taking carers leave (paid or unpaid).

If anyone feels they are at risk of this then the best idea is to get a medical certificate for each absence. A pain I know but at least then you are covered.

And a bulk billing place won't cost anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've noticed that the full time children hardly ever get sick, it's the ones that only come a few days that generally get sick more often. Guess all that time at care builds their immune system. That doesn't count for colds and snotty noses though, in winter, every child will be walking around with a green nose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndieBelle View Post
    in winter, every child will be walking around with a green nose!
    ewww haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    My partner drops DS to daycare and overhears a mum saying to daycare staff 'my child is really sick and has a high temp, can you keep an eye on him?'

From my point of view this is so NOT OK! Is it unreasonable to expect very sick kids to be kept home?
    No i agree it's not ok and not unreasonable to expect sick kids to be kept at home. I actually find it very unfair for all of the other children at the centre and their families because undoubtedly it will spread. It's unfair because the children will need to stay home when they're sick which means their parents will need to take time off of work to look after them. And then take more time off work when they themselves get sick and/or the child's siblings become sick.

We recently had a similar issue when we went pick DD up. A VERY sick little boy was coughing in her face while they were eating afternoon tea so of course a couple of days later DD wakes up vomiting with temperatures. I was so cranky!!

I also do not understand how a parent could send their child to school when they're undoubtedly so ill, especially with high temps! Poor child. I could never do that to my babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    This irritates me. I know some people may have limited options, but I don't know how that makes it okay to risk making a bunch of other people's kids sick.. whose parents will also be left in the situation of having to take time off to watch their kids. I find it incredibly self-centred.
    Perfectly said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whether it's kosher or not, I could never in good conscious send any child of mine somewhere sick.

One of my 'jobs' as a Mum is to be there to care for my kids and that includes when they're sick, so to send them off somewhere when they're sick would never sit well with me. Secondly, I would hate to think one of my kids infected another when it could have been prevented.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hate it, and it seems to happen far too often at the preschool the twins go to.
    One of my friends knowingly dropped her daughter off when she had gastro last week.
    Of course my pair caught it and brought it home for myself and 13 week old DD to catch. I just had a curette and my stomach hurt so bad.

Some may not have many options but it is so unfair to put other parents in the same position and to also leave your poor child there sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The centre should have refused to take the sick child. I think its incredibly selfish and self centred to take a sick child to daycare. Poor kid.