+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sending sick kids to daycare

My partner drops DS to daycare and overhears a mum saying to daycare staff 'my child is really sick and has a high temp, can you keep an eye on him?'

From my point of view this is so NOT OK! Is it unreasonable to expect very sick kids to be kept home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No it is not unreasonable.
    Unfortunately there will always be people who will continue to send their kids when sick, drives me crazy.
    Once i dropped DD off to kindy and as i was leaving i heard a mother say her son had been vomiting all night but okay this morning so she dropped him off Not surprising that kindy had a stomach bug outbreak after that - yeah the kid may not have caused that but still very selfish to send him imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree, used to drive me crazy while DD was at CC.

However, while with some people it may be that they're inconsiderate, others though may not have other options. Some employers are terrible so the parent if the have no family around to lend a hand are left with no options at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally hate it.
    It drives me nuts but I do understand that some people have little choice. I grew up with a single mum who had a d**k of a boss and i went to school, daycare etc no matter how sick I was. I remember my mum being really embarrassed but we lived in a small town where good jobs were rare, she had a mortgage and she simply couldn't afford to lose her job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A child should not be permitted to stay at the centre until they have not vomited for at least 24 hours and same with fevers it has to be at least 12 hours since the fever has broken. That is really frustrating but if the centre is doing their job they should have policies in place to prevent this happening

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpmakes2 For This Useful Post:

mummakat  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think daycare have certain rules like a child having to be an anti biotics for at least 24 hours before u can send them back etc but ppl will always send sick kids....i feel bad for working parents tbh cis your own sick leave can run out very fast when your child starts daycare.especially in the first year..a single parent may have no choice in such a situation...im sure that occasionally u get someone who is inconsiderate which makes me feel bad for the kid...there is nothing worse being at work when u have a bug so i feel bad for a child that ends up in daycare when they are quite ill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My mum comes and looks after the kids if they're sick like that, no way am I sending them to daycare and school when sick. I'm lucky that I have mum to do that, I work full time and can't afford to use all my sick days on the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This irritates me. I know some people may have limited options, but I don't know how that makes it okay to risk making a bunch of other people's kids sick.. whose parents will also be left in the situation of having to take time off to watch their kids. I find it incredibly self-centred.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (08-03-2013),Lincolns mummy  (08-03-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in child care and it is the worst. Every centre I have been to has a temperature policy when it reaches a certain point, they need to go home. Some would let you administer panadadol, some would not. One centre would let the child stay after they had panadol. But even if they had panadol, the child would be so upset and take an entire staff member away while they comforted them, and all they want is their parents. It is heartbreaking sometimes, and so stressful. Numerous times we have called parents to let them know the child is upset, not coping, etc. but again, some children have stayed all day. Needless to say, it gets around fast within the centre. We recently had a full on outbreak of gastro within ALL the rooms and several staff because we had a few kids come in with it.

It is terrible having sick children at care because they usually require more on on one car which at times you just cannot do, they spread their illness around and they are obviously upset and just want to be home. The last place I want to be when I am sick, the last place I would want to be would be in a room with 20 other loud, yelling children running around! They usually take longer to feel better to when they don't go home (understandably).

I do understand there are times when the parent has no other options, but they will get sent home anyway and it is so hard on staff and the children being there ill.

Wow I did not mean for the post to go that long haha sorry! Just something I have to deal with daily and it is just frustrating. Once I had an argument with a parent (feral as anything in a feral area) about sending their child home who cleaaaaaaarly had conjunctivitis... they were yelling at me saying it was just sleep and they get it in the morning all the time... their eyes were just about stuck together with sticky yellow gunk! I said okay if that's the case go across the road to the doctor and get a clearance, once you have a clearance you can bring them back. Needless to say we didn't see them for just over a week when it was finally gone!

Okay I will stop posting now :P

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndieBelle For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2013),Candiceo  (08-03-2013),melimum  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I agree, used to drive me crazy while DD was at CC.

However, while with some people it may be that they're inconsiderate, others though may not have other options. Some employers are terrible so the parent if the have no family around to lend a hand are left with no options at all.
    Then what about the parents of the 60+ other kids that then get sick because of it? They too maybe in the same situation

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-03-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (08-03-2013)