+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry bub bitten at child care

hi I picked up my 20month old daughter from child care today and she had a full blown bite mark on her arm when I asked the staff they all said they didn't know when or how it happened. the bite broke the skin. there are two things Im worried about why they wouldn't notice it my bub would have screamed witch makes me think about how well they are watching the kids and the other is what could be transmited through a bite like this (as my bub isn't immunised).

please don't judge me about immunisations I have a 5yr old who had a severe reaction to the imunisations and so did I so we chose not to do it. we have made a consious decision not to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry this happened to your baby.

I would be concerned that none of the carers could tell you the circumstances around this. Id be making an appointment to speak to the director of the centre. Her reaction to this would've been an ear slitting scream I'd think, so even if there wasn't a carer there at that very second, soneobe should've been there soon enough to work out what the story way.

I wouldn't expect them to tell you who the child was necessarily but they should know when it happened and roughly why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thats what i was thinking they should have at least noticed something but no one knew a thing. I do understand that some children are just bitters as a freind had a little one who used to bite everyone and every thing. but for the staff not to know when they are supposed to be looking after your child grr. and they wouldn't even let me know if there was a risk of her being infected with something i didn't want to know names just if there was a chance in the centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in child care and there are some children that don't make a sound, you will just find a bite mark or other kind of injury later when you are playing with them or changing their nappy... not on a child that young though! Children that young will definitely make you aware haha

I will admit there have been times where my back has been turned or I am attending to another child where a bite has occurred and didn't see 100% what happened but you still always get an idea of what happened of it if that makes sense, and I will the parent that. That I didn't see the entire incident because blah blah blah... but I know X was holding a toy that Y had in their hands after the bite, or X and Y were in an enclosed space together etc.

Hopefully it was just a once off for you Usually once a child has been noticed to bite a bit, there will be more attention put towards that child to try and prevent any more bites. You would be amazed about how many bites are stopped! I had one child who was nearly two that would bite often 1-2 times a day! Even with prevention methods taken, he would still get some kids He would know when someone wasn't watching/near and he would do it absolutely non provoked. He would make 10+ bite attempts a day.

I wouldn't be too worried about becoming infected, it would just be their teeth that broke the skin, don't think you can physically catch anything from a child's bite. However if you are concerned, try the staff or even contact the director (I'd do it in person rather than the phone) and just make it clear you don't want to know who bit and you are aware that you are not allowed to be told (they will probably mention it 10 times), but you are just looking to find out if there is any chance of them contracting anything from that particular child.

Hope it gets sorted out for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sorry this happened to your bub. My DD was bitten on the arm at daycare just free she started there at 1 yr old. The first time I understood, kids bite sometimes and at that age they can't communicate well so act out. But the second time (same kid but they wouldn't say who) on her nose and I was annoyed. Talked to staff who said this kid was a "biter" and had bitten others too, that they had strategies in place to make sure it would not happen again.

The third time it happened (yes the same child) she almost took a chunk
    Out of DD cheek! It was so bruised and swollen :-( I was so upset! They rang me 2 hours later to say come and get her because she was still upset after her nap and told me then what had happened. They again gave me the strategies speech and the we only looked away for a second. Then had the cheek to ask if I would consider changing my days to when this little girl wasn't there as that family had used the center for longer. I was furious! Needless to say I pulled her out and moved somewhere else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd has been bitten a few times at daycare and each time the centre has filled in an incident report with the when's and where's.
    I thought this was standard?? Even if dd falls over scrapes her knee they do an incident report which I have to sign and return. Do they have anything like this in your centre op?? Even if they didn't see it, surely it has to be documented somewhere for their own records.
    ??

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think any of my kids has ever been injured at day care without an incident report. I'd have to sign one even if the incident was between my own kids!