+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sunscreen - I am confused

Hi everyone,

I am 13 weeks pregnant and in a couple of weeks I will be going on a holiday to northern WA. I am very confused what sunscreen to use during that time.

The chemist recommended a zinc sunscreen over the chemical ones so I bought the Invisible Zinc brand one. Since then I've heard and read a lot about some zinc sunscreens containing nano particles and being potentially harmful. On the other hand the chemical sunscreens don't receive much positive feedback either. What did you use and did you get any useful advice from anywhere

Thanks for your help.

Nic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used normal sunscreen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Invisible Zinc doesn't contain nano particles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is a list somewhere of brands to avoid. Sorry i don't have it but they used to have it up at DD's old daycare so I'm sure a Google would turn it up.

Personally I prefer the zinc ones as they work by being a barrier whereas chemical sunscreens convert UV energy into heat (thanks Dr. Carl for explaining that I wasn't imagining that my sunscreen made me hotter) and gives me heat rash.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never heard of any issues with sunscreen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Nic, I used to work in the skincare industry and I know a bit about this.

It's true, sunscreens containing nano particles are controversial in medical circles. My dermatologist advises patients to avoid them (all the time, not just in pregnancy).

There are 2 types of sunscreen: physical (like zinc) and chemical. Chemical sunscreens absorb into your skin, then deflect the rays. Physical sunscreens sit on top of skin and deflect the rays. Most skin experts recommend physical sunscreens instead of chemical sunscreens because there are less chemicals absorbing into your skin, and also because there was some research a few years ago that chemical sunscreen increases free radical activity in the skin.

The label should tell you if it contains nano particles. Invisible Zinc is good - maybe email them to check.

For everyday sunscreen I use Mecca Cosmetica 'to save face'. It is genuinely matte and non-shiny, doesn't make me breakout, and I never burn or freckle.

For holidays, like the one you're going on, I use Invisible Zinc because I feel like it's stronger. I hate the texture though - it's thick and sticky and when you're in and out of the water it's a real pain to wash off and reapply. It makes me breakout. Take a good cleanser with you!

At the end of the day preventing sunscreen and skin cancer is the most important thing so don't worry too much about exactly which sunscreen you use so long as it blocks the sun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find the woolworths select invisible zinc easier to spread that the 'invisible zinc' brand (which is really dense).

Another tip is the zincs reflect a lot of light so if you know you're going to be using flash when taking photos put a bit of extra bronzer on to compensate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I never knew sunscreen was an issue :/ being a pasty redhead I've used plenty of it during my pregnancy (and before) whoops!