+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6 month old naps

Up until this week, my 6 month old son has had fabulous nap patterns, especially in the morning. he would wake between 6:30-7am and go back for a nap at 8:15-8:30, with absolutely no fuss or crying and always sleep for 1.5 hours at a minimum.

This week, that's been turned on its head - we put him down at the same time and after a few minutes of promising silence, he will erupt into screaming and tears, and take up to 30+ minutes to fall asleep, even with a dummy, patting, shushing. And he won't sleep for longer than 30-40 minutes. That then throws the rest of the day out, as I have No idea when he will get tired o how long he will sleep for.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this or how we might resolve it? Would appreciate any input as I am at a loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 6 months corrected and we used to have a similar routine, up at 6:45-7 back to bed by 8 and would sleep for about 2.5 hours. But lately she's been fighting it! I've started to keep her awake for longer in the morning and it seems to be making nap time easier - so putting her to bed 2 hours after waking. She's tiring less easily and sleeping better at night so I think she just wasn't tired enough when I was putting her down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. We tried pushing his first nap out a bit more this morning. A lot less noise and fussing (although still more than usual), but he still woke up about 30 minutes after falling asleep! Might just have to see how the day pans out and whether we can get a good nap out of him in the afternoons instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have found the same with dd the past couple of weeks she is 6 months also. Have kind of just had to let it go
    And follow her lead as to what times she is naturally getting sleepy again now she is older and think we finally have it worked out again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep my 6 month old started that last month. Long sleeps have totally gone out the window, she now has 3 or 4 40 min sleeps a day. Its so hard. I tried pushing her sleep out in the morning, but it made it 10 times harder to get her down, I had to pat her whereas she usually self settles. I'm at a loss, and miss my 2 hr morning break to do the housework..... gee that sounds very sad ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 monthold dd was doing the same as I was putting her down every 1 1/2 but after she started fighting it I changed it to 2 hrs and she was fine. We don't really have a schedule as dd's day sleeps could be anywhere from 30 mins to an hour or two. I just started keeping track of when she would wake & put her down after 2 hours awake even if she didn't look tired and she would go straight to sleep. The last nap was a bit hard though as I don't like dd to sleep past 5 as her bedtime is 6 - 6.30 every night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It can take a few days of pushing the awake time longer before their naps calm down, so I'd try it again and see what happens. I would have thought at this age she'd need a bit longer. My DD turns 7 months next week and she goes down for first sleep approx 2 hours after she wakes up. She always has a short morning sleep of 45 minutes (I've given up trying to make it longer, as it was making us both miserable) and then has a longer one in the afternoon.