+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Starting daycare next week! Any tips?

Hi ladies

Well the time has come for me to return to work! And I'm actually starting a new job! Long story but my current employer didn't treat me well when I was on leave (despite being in HR!) and I was offered a great role at the place I had worked prior to that. And for a small amount more money! So win/win.

I'll be doing three days 8-4.15 (but will be expected to work outside these hours as required - same as if I was full-time so I'm ok with that. I'm happy to answer emails in the evening.

DS (9 months) has his orientation in a few days (three days in total of 4 hours each) and then starts properly after that. I'm really happy with the centre (and even getting a spot in Melbourne was a miracle!!).

I'm looking for some tips from working mums on how best to organize everything. His breakfast, lunch and snacks are provided and I will give him dinner when I get home. We need to be out the door at 7am on my work days (so he will need to get up a bit earlier than he currently does).We are going to do a couple of practice runs to get the logistics right.

I'm worried that the stress of starting a new (and quite full-on) job as well as dealing with a new routine, and the guilt of leaving my DS and missing him will just be overwhelming. I figure that in 4-6 weeks we should be more in a routine. Is this realistic?

I am sooo looking forward to working again so staying home isn't an option.

DS isn't a great day sleeper. He is also a very happy but very loud baby and I'm
    worried this might annoy the carers?

Also, does anyone know the process of getting the CCR back? We don't want it quarterly. I have already applied for the $0 rate of CCB so I think we are good to go.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    When my boy started daycare I had a routine written up (down to 5 minute chunks) and stuck on the wall in the family room. Having myself and DP doing stuff helped. It took about a week before we got the hang of things. About 4 weeks before I felt good about it all.

As for bub at daycare 9 months is a good age to start. My advice is be positive. When you get to daycare act all excited and make a big deal of it. Say hello to all the carers and encourage bub to. Bub will sense any hesitation: a positive mood really is catchy. Try and bring some routine to arriving at daycare. Let bub 'help' you open the gate each day. Or look and touch the daycare sign. My boy finds comfort at things like this and now will often crack a smile as soon as we arrive at daycare (in anticipation of the routine).

With sleeping during the day, if bub has a comforter at home ensure its a daycare too. Same with any sleeping bags. Expect some disruption at the start and just hang in there things will improve. As for your bub being loud I'm sure the carers have seen worse! My theory is if the parents are nice to the carers they will be more understanding with bub. Well they will probably be professional anyway, but that helps me feel better.

Have you applied for the CCR online? I honestly can't remember the exact process. The trick though was to have it all approved before you start and you give daycare your/bubs CrN (reference nr). Daycare plug it into the system and you automatically get the rebate off your account. For me this was fortnightly.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks VP! Good tips about the routine.

Yes applied for CCR online and have his CRN and everything.

I think the orientations and practice runs will help too. I wasn't planning on hanging around for orientation. What are your thoughts on this?

He also eats a fair bit. Do they try and feed them all the same amount or give them what they want? He also only has water in the day now - no bottle. Which means he needs to be offered water a lot. I'm hoping this isn't an issue. He needs to be "fed"'it out of a regular cup as he can't quite use a sippy cup so they can't just give him a cup and leave him to it...

I've bought him a sleeping bag just for daycare and he will have his comfort toy too.

He is a sociable bub so I'm hoping he will be just fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay! Congrats on the new job!

I found getting the morning routine really important. I usually get up before DS, shower and get ready, he gets up, changed and he used to have brekky but now I just take him straight to daycare and he has brekky there. His bag is packed the night before and sits at the door ready to go.

I also make sure I have easy dinners ready to go as soon as we get home. He is usually ready for dinner at 5 so he eats pretty much as soon as we get in the door. Although, when he was younger he would come straight home and have a cat nap before dinner.

Being organised is the key, going to bed early on work nights.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

kw123  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he will have a bottle when he wakes but have brekkie at the centre which will save so much time.

My plan was to get up at 6am and shower and have brekkie before getting him up at 6.30 (this is his usual wake up time anyway, sometimes later).

Hope to be home by 5.30 at the latest traffic depending so will give him dinner when we get home. DH and I won eat dinner until he is in bed as he doesn't get home until 7pm-ish.

How many sets of clothes do you normally pack? Just one extra? And I assume I take his own water bottle along with his formula and bottles (in case he wants one even though he doesn't normally).

I'm usually in bed by 9.30pm most nights!

Now to work out who is "on duty" at nighttime on my work days... I'm pretty sure we will just have to split it 50/50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Need some ideas for easy dinners too! Pasta is out as DH can't eat wheat and only very limited dairy...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    How many sets of clothes do you normally pack? Just one extra? And I assume I take his own water bottle along with his formula and bottles (in case he wants one even though he doesn't normally).
    Congrats on the new job.

I always put in a couple of changes of clothes - kids get messy at day care - so dont send him in in anything you ever want to wear in public again.

You will need your own bottles, formula, drink bottle, hat, teddy etc for sleep. Check with your centre they will have a list - some places provide nappies etc some dont. Label EVERYTHING really clearly.

Be prepared that you LO will probably get pretty sick with colds etc (and other nasties) especially during their first winter in daycare. A multivitamin might help out a bit. On the plus side to this - once we got through the first couple of winters my kids are hardly sick at all and have had most of the "shared" things like hand foot and mouth.

Take your tissues for you on the first day and ring and check when you need to. XX

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

kw123  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wanted to say....don't worry about your DS annoying carers. They are used to all types and wouldn't be in the job if they didn't!!
    I have been transitioning the last few weeks, it can be hard but just remember it's best for you all. Good luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

kw123  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the tips!

Yes I don't think he would actually annoy them per se as he is such a lovely happy baby - he is just quite loud .

I've got my labels ready to go.

He takes zinc and probiotics already but might look into a multivitamin too. He has a good immune system - never been sick his whole life so far so hoping he can avoid at least some of the sniffles! That's the downside of starting the new job - no accrued sick leave!

Just did a next direct order for his daycare clothes too.

Dreading the first drop off but I'm doing it the week before I actually start work so I'm not a total wreck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For meals I often pre make carrot/zucchini slice, meatballs, pre steamed veggies, omelettes for DS and for us at the moment it's things like having salad ready to go with steak, chicken or pre cooked pork for a vietnamese salad. Really easy stuff to just toss and serve.