+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To have or not to have Amnio test... stuck between a rock and a hard place

Hi all,

I am new to the Bub Hub. I am 13 weeks pregnant and aged 36. I have just received a call with my 12 scan results and have a 1 in 282 chance of having a child with Downs.My bloods are fine, just the neck measurement is a bit thicker than normal. Whilst my obst isn't concerned over the results , she has put me in a bit of a grey area and has left it to me as to whether or not if I want to go ahead with an amni test. I feel like I am stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place. I would like to know the answer as to whether I will have a child with Downs yet I don't want to risk miscarring a healthy baby. What would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a tough decision.

Did your OB mention the possibility of having the iGeneScreen blood test? It's relatively new - only came out in Aus late last year - but there have been similar ones in the US for a bit longer (MaterniT21 is one). It's a blood test (your blood) only, and they somehow extract a small amount of fetal DNA that makes it into your blood ******, then analysethe chromosomes. They claim to have a 99% accuracy rate in detecting Downs. It's $1350, plus a consultation fee (compulsory "counselling" before hand). You get a bit back on Medicare for the consultation, but none on the cost of the blood test. The results take about 3 weeks to come back (from China), and sometimes they can't get anough DNA and have to take more blood.

My OB is sceptical about the test, but another OB I talked to thought the results so far were pretty good. I'm not sure what the arrangements are in other states, but in WA you need to get an OB to do a "consultation" and give you a referral, then the bloods are taken by Western Diagnostic at Myaree.

Best wishes for your decision - I know it's a hard one to make.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 06-03-2013 at 22:49. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Congrats on the pregnancy !
    I had a 1:170 with DS at age 39, my scan was good but combined with my blood work made my risk higher
    I decided to have the amnio as the worry/stress was killing me and we wanted to be prepared if there was something wrong , my OB recommended a wonderful Dr at the ultrasound clinic who literally does hundreds of amnios or more a year and I was very confident in her experience, it was nowhere near as painful as I was imagining and I had no pain afterward ( just rested for 2-3 days after) and we paid for the fast results and got them the next day ( all clear) plus we found out the sex
    Do a little reasesrch and talk to the Dr who would do it and that may help your decision , good luck and remember the odds are still strongly in your favour
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 06-03-2013 at 23:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Chances of having a miscarriage is higher than the chance of having a baby having down syndrome.

If the amnio comes back positive are you going to terminate? If you wouldn't terminate then there is no point in risking the miscarriage.

One of my friends had a 1:2 risk of down syndrome (was a 1:6 risk after the scan and the bloods bumped it up to 1:2). She had the amnio and the baby did not have Down syndrome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The risk of miscarriage depends entirely on who is performing it. Do your research if you do decide to go down that path. Eg there is a practioner in Melbourne who has a zero percent miscarriage rate.

While you may decide to keep the baby it can still be worthwhile to be prepared. Like Gentoo I had the Igene blood test done. Still waiting for the results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Chances of having a miscarriage is higher than the chance of having a baby having down syndrome.

If the amnio comes back positive are you going to terminate? If you wouldn't terminate then there is no point in risking the miscarriage.

One of my friends had a 1:2 risk of down syndrome (was a 1:6 risk after the scan and the bloods bumped it up to 1:2). She had the amnio and the baby did not have Down syndrome.
    Thankfully we had a very low risk ( OB said lowest he's seen in a while) but we talked about what we would do if the risk was high. This is the conclusion we came up with.
    If you are going to keep the baby no matter what then I wouldnt want to then risk it, but if you would terminate then it's a no brainer ( only down side is if a miscarry occurs on a healthy hatchling)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default To have or not to have Amnio test... stuck between a rock and a hard place

I.
    Last edited by Mmumm; 31-10-2016 at 15:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two things to consider. If you had a baby with downs would you terminate? If the answer is yes then maybe you should have the test

Second thing is, like Sonja said, check out the mc rates of doctors that perform amnios in your area. I know there are docs in Melbourne that have 0% mc rates. It is totally dependant on the dr performing it. Same with cvs rates.

We had 1:86 chance with a previous history of T18 and because of my age and potential ability to look after a downs adult due to age we decided to have the test done. If I had have been younger we would have kept baby regardless. Our second baby was 1:500 so we didn't have the test as I felt I was too busy with DD1 to be able to rest after CVS properly and weren't prepared to take the risk with those numbers.

Goodluck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 amnios due to our first having a chromosome abnormality. Although its important to have an idea of what you would do if the results came back bad it's also important to weigh up how important peace of mind will be to you during the rest of the pregnancy. With both my amnios I did feel incredibly guilty for risking the well being of my baby for peace of mind however the peace of mind the results gave me for the rest of the pregnancy were incredibly important for me mentally.

The test itself isn't that bad, not painful, it is emotional however and the wait for results is hard. I made sure I rested for a few days afterwards and didn't do anything too strenuous for a week or 2, maybe a bit ott but I did what I felt was best.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and all the best for a healthy pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your responses. I am sad to say if we did test positive for Downs we would abort. I would also be devastated if we went ahead with the amino and miscarried a healthy baby. Yes odds are in my favour. When I flip the results around I have a 99.6% chance of not having a downs child. (1:282 = .4%) .

I have enquired about the MaterniT21 test which I would have to travel interstate for. This text takes about 10 days to come back. If I go interstate early next week and get the results past the date that I have the opportunity to have the amnio it could be too late. I have spoken to my Obst about this and she is not set that enough research has been done on this test.

I have a meeting with my obst next tues which I will discuss who be best to do the amnio should I go ahead with it.

Our poor parents, they had none of this! I spoke to mum and she said having a baby is a risk full stop.

Thanks again all.