+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Geez I'm sorry I mentioned public transport.

A) I never said do it for an entire grocery shop or even part of one. Maybe people take kids to the shops for a hair cut, or a coffee?
    B) it's obviously not going to work every time people go the shops. We'd do it once a week at most.
    C) if you choose to drive, then drive. Be happy you can afford a car, and get over the fact you have to walk a few extra rows to the entrance of the shopping centre.

Seriously these are such first world problems.

I understand no one wants to catch public transport. It will never be mentioned again
    Off topic but I am also in inner Melbourne and had to take my friends 12 year old on the tram to show her how to use it to get to school as her mum has never used it as therefore neither has she!!! Couldn't believe it.

I love PT but its readily available where I am. And was always useful pre-kids so we could both have a drink if we were going out! Without spending loads on cabs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    B) it's obviously not going to work every time people go the shops. We'd do it once a week at most.
    I was using the work example of how it takes me hours just to get to my local workplace. To get to the mall, approx 30 mins drive, and back would take up the entire day on public transport. Yes, first world problem, but the bus system is still not up to scratch here and no train.

I actually wish more people here would complain about the PT system, if it were up to scratch less would need to drive therefore better for environment/traffic etc. It's sh!t and yes it's worthy of complaint. I would happily catch it daily, in fact would prefer it to driving, IF it were more efficient... but it's not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I can't begin to fathom catching a bus to do my groceries. Two small children, many heavy bags, and no pram. That's one nightmarish walk home from the bus stop.
    Only ever had one kid... but I didn't drive until last year, the year she turned 7. So I can definitely agree - public transport with a child for ANY reason is nightmarish! lol. Shopping with a toddler/pram is dodgy enough as is... SO MUCH WORSE with public transport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't having a go, like PP, I just felt the need to explain why I don't use public transport. Sorry!

Geez I'm sorry I mentioned public transport.

A) I never said do it for an entire grocery shop or even part of one. Maybe people take kids to the shops for a hair cut, or a coffee?
    C) if you choose to drive, then drive. Be happy you can afford a car, and get over the fact you have to walk a few extra rows to the entrance of the shopping centre.

Seriously these are such first world problems.

I understand no one wants to catch public transport. It will never be mentioned again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Only ever had one kid... but I didn't drive until last year, the year she turned 7. So I can definitely agree - public transport with a child for ANY reason is nightmarish! lol. Shopping with a toddler/pram is dodgy enough as is... SO MUCH WORSE with public transport.
    My 3 kids love it. They are well behaved on the bus as it's a special treat. Yes it's a PITA sometimes and I really would love to be able to drive for 10 minutes instead of take the bus some days but it's something I do because they enjoy it. They understand they have to behave or we don't do it anymore. PT with a child doesn't have to be nightmarish.

Not every child behaves badly on public transport. Spend time in Melbourne where a lot of people extensively use tram networks and see how the kids generally are well behaved, because it's what they know.

I'm talking to myself on this one I accept that. I just wish people would read what I'm saying and maybe accept that some people can choose to use PT with their kids and not find it the hell others seem to.
    Last edited by Sonja; 08-03-2013 at 09:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I wasn't having a go, like PP, I just felt the need to explain why I don't use public transport. Sorry!
    It's not you particularly. People are saying all the reasons why they don't use it which are fine and valid - I'm just sick of being misconstrued as I've never said people should only take PT and do a weekly grocery shop while they do it.

I honestly just offered it up as one alternative to ALWAYS driving to the shops. Obviously I don't know every single person's personal circumstances. I wish I'd never mentioned it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree with that sonja, and mine loves public transport. As I said we take it on spare days without even needing to just for the fun of it. But needing to get anywhere for any kind of purpose in my area is sort of moot, I think when someone says 'why can't people take PT' people will respond accordingly with why it's not possible for them. My idea of utopia is not having to walk 20 minutes to GET to a bus stop, wait 30 for the bus, then walk another 20 from the bus stop to the destination. If only

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I agree with that sonja, and mine loves public transport. As I said we take it on spare days without even needing to just for the fun of it. But needing to get anywhere for any kind of purpose in my area is sort of moot, I think when someone says 'why can't people take PT' people will respond accordingly with why it's not possible for them. My idea of utopia is not having to walk 20 minutes to GET to a bus stop, wait 30 for the bus, then walk another 20 from the bus stop to the destination. If only
    Yep agreed. I never said "why can't people take PT". I had no intention of turning this into a debate on PT. I just wasn't expecting people to be so defensive about it. I appreciated KG's honest response - she doesn't use it because she likes her air-con car.
    Last edited by Sonja; 08-03-2013 at 10:11.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your going to laugh at me Sonja, but I don't like PT coz of germs lol

I used to use it back when I worked in the city and getting on a train with people coughing and spluttering in an enclosed environment made my germ OCD go into total overdrive.

When we went to Melbourne with DS we took him on trams and he loved it (but was strapped in his pram) but hrs a right pita and sometimes struggle to get him into our car after a small trip to the shop (sometimes )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand, why is it ok to not like PT because it has no air conditioning but things like them not running on time/children going feral etc not ok? Lol. I don't get it?!

I prefer PT, I used to love that time to myself to read a book and listen to ipod.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-03-2013)