+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also, I think it's great that things have become so much easier for mums of today. Being a mum is hard enough as it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum and aunties ect are always saying kids today are much harder. Wonder if they are right?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    At the end of the day, this is what we know. We don't know what it's like not to have prams, or formula, or elevators etc. We have it much easier these days but that's all we know.
    I think whinging and whining is more acceptable these days as well. We don't have to pretend to be the perfect Suzie homemaker who has it all together.
    Whinging and whining is only healthy. It's what keeps us sane : )
    And I don't mean any disrespect with this most. None at all.
    They did have prams and they were monstrous things, I have one that I use occasionally.
    But otherwise I agree

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's overly simplistic to say things are easier today.

Take laundry. At first glance it's so much easier. But back before washing machines, standards were much lower, people weren't judged for having a few marks on their clothes. Laundry day was an enormous task, but the whole family rallied around, took care of little ones, respected the need to help. Now we juggle laundry with a million other tasks.

The same applies to many things; technology has made individual tasks easier, but expectations much, much higher.
    Last edited by lambjam; 07-03-2013 at 11:03.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (07-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    My mum and aunties ect are always saying kids today are much harder. Wonder if they are right?!?
    From what my dad has told me .. Yep kids are way harder today .. Being a parent is also harder .. He can't imagine raising 4 kids ( like her did with us ) in this day and age ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Public transport was just a suggestion. We use it all the time (and I have 3 kids under 7 and one on the way).

Yes not everyone has to use it so no need to get so defensive. When we lived in Melbourne it was just such a normal part of life. We had friends with 5 kids who couldn't have survived without it.
    My Mum was very much the same, travelled with 3 kids under 6 on public transport everywhere, and we lived near one of the biggest shopping centres in Melbourne. And public transport was very accommadating.
    I moved further out now, and buses are a fricken nightmare, I have 2 boys, and the thought of going out on a bus these days, irritates me alot. If I go anywhere on weekends, there is a 1hr wait in between, and if say my train pulled in the station, there is a good chance I would of just missed the bus home, that's like a 50min wait with 2 kids under 3.

Getting back on topic. My friend and I when we go to one of the shopping centres out here, we generally park in the same parking lot, on the top, and they have I think 6 PWP spots. The battle to get them, can be very ferocious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I think it's overly simplistic to say things are easier today.

Take laundry. At first glance it's so much easier. But back before washing machines, standards were much lower, people weren't judged for having a few marks on their clothes. Laundry day was an enormous task, but the whole family rallied around, took care of little ones, respected the need to help. Now we juggle laundry with a million other tasks.

The same applies to many things; technology has made individual tasks easier, but expectations much, much higher.
    Yep.. I was thinking of saying this as well. I completely agree with you.. Expectations of mums are higher as well. I feel like we need to be the perfect mum, the perfect housewife, the perfect wife and we have to have the perfect career as well.. Or at least earn some money. You stay at home & feel guilty for not earning money. You go to work and feel guilty because you're not with your children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But anyway... Think we've killed the topic now haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used the 'parents with prams' car spaces a few times while carrying DS and then putting him in a trolley.

I think anyone with kids should be able to use them regardless of the pram thing because the spaces are generally WIDER to be able to get kids in and out of the cars easier

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-03-2013),Blessedwith3boys  (07-03-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Where are these wider parks?! I've parked in PWP spots in several cities over many years and never encountered one...