+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toddler Dropping Day Sleep

Hi Just after some support and advice
    My DD is almost 2.5 years old and I have another baby due in a few weeks.
    We moved DD into a bed abut 2 weeks ago and she is doing great but wont drop off during the day. She has always battledher day sleeps and taken a long time during day to drop off but now that she can get in and out of bed she just sits and read books and wont lay down and sleep. I can see that shes knackered too.Today she has been to daycare all morning, and woke this morning and 6.45 so she is so due but just wont drop off!
    I am lucky in the fact that she will stay in her room and quietly play. I know alot of kids wouldnt do that and its still quiet time but there are days where I know she really needs the sleep.
    She wont lie down with me, shes too big for me to rock off to sleep, there really is nothing I can do to get her to sleep but leave her in there and hope she just crashes.
    Maybe its the end of her day sleeps but I can see that she still needs it. And I feel like everone elses toddler still day sleeps why wont mine??!!

Thanks for listening

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD dropped her sleep around the same age (I think, it was a while ago!). I just let her have quiet time and she still does now at 4.5yrs on her non-Kindy days. I need the break too! When DS goes for his sleep, she will watch a DVD or play quietly on my bed for an hour or so. We have "rules for rest time" - no getting up except for toilet, no messing around (jumping on bed/couch etc) or she would have to have rest time on her own bed. Can only remember having to follow though twice!

Definitely keep some sort of rest time or quiet time going, especially with a newbie coming. Oh, and bring bedtime if you need to. DD was going to bed an hour earlier while she was transitioning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynken For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD dropped her day sleep at around that age too. We just have "rest time" now which daycare also go along with.

Basically she doesn't have to sleep, but at daycare she's allowed to take some books and read in the sleep room and at home she can read or watch a movie for a little bit. If she's super tired and really does need a sleep she'll normally pass out with a minute or so.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my girls gave up their day naps before they turned 2- very occasionally my 3 yr old will drop off in the car but I discourage it, since it usually means she'll still be awake at 9pm! She was up this morning before my alarm went off at 6.15 and will go to bed at 7ish.
    You're lucky your little one will have a quiet play / rest time even if she won't sleep.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son dropped his day sleep at about 2.5. How I miss that little bit of peace in the middle of a noisy day! He does still have one at Childcare...guess that's peer group pressure

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybeanicecream For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cindye View Post
    Both my girls gave up their day naps before they turned 2- very occasionally my 3 yr old will drop off in the car but I discourage it, since it usually means she'll still be awake at 9pm! She was up this morning before my alarm went off at 6.15 and will go to bed at 7ish.
    You're lucky your little one will have a quiet play / rest time even if she won't sleep.

Oh that's the worst when they have a sleep then won't go down at night! My DD had a big weekend and yesterday at daycare zonked it for about 3 hours (which she never does). But it meant she was bouncing off the walls at home until about 10pm. Meanwhile tired pregnant me was ready for bed at about 8pm haha never a good combo.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD is 3.5 and still having a nap. Our problem is she is still having a 2 hour day sleep but doesn't want to sleep till 9:30 at night now! It's been like this for about 3 weeks now and I think she needs to drop her nap but like your DD she simply can not seem to function without it. DD will actually fall asleep on the couch at 3-4pm if we try and skip her nap and she has never in her life fallen asleep anywhere but her bed!!

I'd just make her go to bed and have quiet time each day, even if she is just laying down reading. She may fall asleep or she may just adjust and drop her naps. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2.5yr old mostly doesn't and I have a 2 week old too.
    She will stay in her room though on the days she is a little tired/grumpy and I do put her in there to try for a rest/nap, I let her out after half hr if she isn't asleep by then.