+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me how you decided on IVF or a tubal reversal?

As the titles states can you lovely ladies tell me why you decided to use IVF after a tubal ligation instead of a reversal? Or what swayed you to have the reversal?
    And if you don't mind did you fall pregnant and did it take long?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I am currently waiting to start my first cycle IVF (next week) after having a tubal ligation 9 years ago. I looked into both tubal reversal and IVF and decided on IVF due to a few factors.
    COST- Our IVF clinic is about $2400 woth out of pocket being $1400 vs about $7000 out of pocket being around $4000.
    RISK- I have had 4 cesareans and didn't want to have any more surgery that might weaken my uterus. The chance of tubal pregnancy is also higher after reversal.
    CONTRACEPTION- No need to worry about fiancee having vasectomy or me going on pill with IVF.
    SURGERY RISKS & RECOVERY- Was worried about stays in hospital, recovery time as I have children to take care of.
    SUCCESS RATES- Are pretty similar with both.
    As I am yet to start the IVF I can't talk about how long in took, I am crossing my fingers it works first time round but am realistic enough to know it may not.
    Anyway hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tashan View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently waiting to start my first cycle IVF (next week) after having a tubal ligation 9 years ago. I looked into both tubal reversal and IVF and decided on IVF due to a few factors.
    COST- Our IVF clinic is about $2400 woth out of pocket being $1400 vs about $7000 out of pocket being around $4000.
    RISK- I have had 4 cesareans and didn't want to have any more surgery that might weaken my uterus. The chance of tubal pregnancy is also higher after reversal.
    CONTRACEPTION- No need to worry about fiancee having vasectomy or me going on pill with IVF.
    SURGERY RISKS & RECOVERY- Was worried about stays in hospital, recovery time as I have children to take care of.
    SUCCESS RATES- Are pretty similar with both.
    As I am yet to start the IVF I can't talk about how long in took, I am crossing my fingers it works first time round but am realistic enough to know it may not.
    Anyway hope that helps
    Thank you so much for your reply Tashan. I bet you are extremely excited to get the IVF process on the road but a little nervous also?
    Exactly what you have said are my fears also with surgery after 3 c/s, recovery and tubal pregnancy. But then somehow I would be more nervous about IVF then surgery I think.

I've had a lot of problems since my tubal so was hoping a reversal would help stop those symptoms but that could be wishful thinking..

Argh it's such a hard decision. Am going to see the FS on the 18th so hopefully he can send me in the right direction.

Best of luck I hope you have one stick first round

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had strange symptoms too since tubal but after plenty of research realised that there is no gaurantee of them going away with a reversal.
    I was so scared of IVF but after talking to the fertility centre we are using and being on here reading all the amazing stories I can honestly say I fear nothing (well other than the little devil not sticking lol). I am excited to be getting started and for the first time in my life I am desperately wishing my AF would hurry up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did the symptoms ever go away or you've still had them 9 years on?
    Thats excellent that you are so at ease with it and just waiting for the end result!!
    Might go read through some IVF threads and get more knowledge of that process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had, migranes, cramping, mid cycle spotting, mood swings and a few other symptoms. I have researched these and many of them are symptoms that others have had, I know they are common in many women who haven't had a reversal but I had never suffered from any of them prior to the surgery.
    Thankfully the mood swings are all but gone, the migranes are still with me along with the spotting but the cramping is gone.
    Yes read through them all, go google reversals and IVF and compare them, I would never say thast one is the better choice as it all comes down to individuals but I believe I have made the right choice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tashan For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also been looking into a reversal. Just got an appointment for a consult as a public patient. Unfortunately nobody seems to be able to tell me how long a wait I may have on the public patient surgery list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmumma View Post
    I have also been looking into a reversal. Just got an appointment for a consult as a public patient. Unfortunately nobody seems to be able to tell me how long a wait I may have on the public patient surgery list.
    I have read it can take from 6months to 2 years so hopefully you'll get the earlier. Keep us posted on how you go Bushmumma!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quicker the better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our big one was the fact that you could get it and it still not work. Along with the fact it's not covered by Medicare so would have cost more too.