+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is anyone studying midwifery at Vic Uni in St Albans?

Hi everyone!!!

I'm hoping to get in to study midwifery at Victoria University in St Albans for 2014.

I wanted to get some information from people that have already started the course, just in terms of contact hours with the Uni, how hard it was to get in etc etc!!

Or even if you're studying through a different Uni as I would expect the courses to be quite similar.

If anyone's interested in answering a few of my questions I would be so happy!!

Thanks

R xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't study at Vic uni, but studied Midwifery and graduated at the end of last year.
    Midwifery is always difficult to get into, often the uni's have about 5-600 applicants for a small number of spots (ACU take the most). In 2010 when I started, there were about 600 applications for 30 spots at Monash. It depends on what you have done previously as to your chances of getting in, and I think VU goes off the STAT results too. Of the uni's that do MID (well there is only 2 direct entry ones now in vic) VU is the easier of the 2 to get into I believe and has the lower cut off.
    I have heard VU's first year is very full on, and you are at Uni most days. I am sure a VUer though may be able to clarify this with you better.
    The Midwifery degree is full on. You have hours on campus, study and essays to write, practical experience hours in the hospital and also continuity of Care experiences where you follow women's pregnancies. At the moment I believe it is 20 COC's with 20 hours spent with each woman over the 3 years of the degree.

Be aware that currently there is a massive shortage of graduate places for qualifying midwives, despite there being an expected shortage of midwives in the near future. One third of my class is still without permanent employment for their graduate year and at the moment only have agency. Others have also had to accept jobs working in postnatal only (5/27 students).

As I am one of the lucky ones with a graduate year, I still stand by the fact that I am VERY happy I did it, and I absolutely love it. Goodluck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RHJ For This Useful Post:

RandR  (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply! Congratulations on completing your degree and getting straight into permanent work! It sounds like you're really passionate about it!

I have heard that its a very competitive course! I'll have a look into the stat test, I didn't think I'd need to as I've only stopped university study in 2011, but it definitely can't hurt so I may as well do it! My enter score was over 20 points over the cut from 2011 for VU but I don't think that will matter because I finished high school way back in 2005.

I'm about 1 semester off completing my degree in Psych but had to stop when I had my daughter so I'm hoping that will help me out. I'm also planning on taking one of the arts units at VU next semester which is actually a required subject for midwifery. I've also seen a couple of weekend workshops through Capers Bookstore on things like pregnancy/neonatal loss that aren't restricted to just midwives, do you think that might help my chances if I did something like that? I'd be interested in doing the courses regardless as I think that would be one of the most confronting aspects of the job, so it will give me a (very slight) idea of how I will cope with that.

I know there are post grad midwifery courses but would you need to have done undergrad nursing to get in or would I be able to do it if I finished my psych degree? I'm thinking it would be better to do the undergrad midwifery course anyway, just in terms of experience and confidence with the subject matter.

I know how much work Uni is!! It's been lovely having 10 months off!! I'm not worried about not being able to cope with all of the study/essays etc, I'm just more stressed about child care. Like should I book my daughter in for full time child care, or would part time be sufficient, and my husband works crazy hours so I'd be worried about being available to pick her up etc.

I guess I'm more stressed because aside from my husband I don't really have anyone in Melbourne that I can call last minute if I need a babysitter.

As far as job prospects go, that was another question I had, in your first year after completion is part time/agency work something that was possible? I would want to go straight into full time work but at the same time I wouldn't want to risk my chances of getting full time work later on down the track!

Agh so sorry such a long post!!

All this is said on the basis that I actually get in lol!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like you would have a good chance of getting in. If you complete your current degree that would certainly up the chance of you getting in, especially if you have good grades.
    I don't know if VU read the Personal information forms or not, if they do, other courses you may do would be good.
    It is a very full on course, For me personally I booked my sons into full time care. You have to be available for blocks of placements, which will be shift work. If you don't have much support these may be difficult as often the hospitals are not able to provide flexibility for your shifts. Plus then you have to factor in the appointments for your COC women, and their births, and who will look after your child when you go to them.

Jobs for graduate year- most graduate year jobs are 0.8. There are a couple that are full time and some private ones mostly that are part time- either 0.4 or .6.
    The postgrad midwifery degrees are for nursing students wanting to become midwives (or that is my understanding), so yes an undergraduate mid degree or double degree would be your best options.

hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!
    I am currently in Sydney and looking at relocating to Melbourne to study midwifery. I am deciding between VU and ACU ad i want to do a bachelor of Midwifery and not a double degree. The layout of the VU course appeals more to me as it seems to have more "midwifery" units sooner in the course. However, I can't find any feedback about VU as a university and I haven't heard from any students about their experiences.... I am really anxious to make the move to Melbourne and start at VU to find out that the university isn't what i hoped. I have had some communication with coordinators t the uni and it has seemed to be a little unorganised... I'm not sure if i should take this as an indication of the course....

Any feedback from students at VU or ACU would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment I believe it is 20 COC's with 20 hours spent with each woman over the 3 years of the degree.
    This is in the process of changing to 10 CCEs and i believe the number of births have decreased to 30 (normal) and 10 complex or 20 SVDs and 15 complex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    VU produces some fantastic nurses so I'm sure their midwives are great too.

However, LaTrobe university also offers a degree in midwifery and their students are placed at the Royal Women's Hospital.

I have had all my pregnancy care at the women's and have had lots of contact with the students, so I'm guessing they have get lots of opportunity for hands on experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerfae View Post
    This is in the process of changing to 10 CCEs and i believe the number of births have decreased to 30 (normal) and 10 complex or 20 SVDs and 15 complex.
    Excellent plan.

My last semester of study I did 40 shifts on birth suite. In that time I delivered two babies, everyone else was caesars or instrumental deliveries.

Ridiculous that spending hours with a woman labouring and assisting with the birth doesn't count.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i know this is an old thread, but im going to apply this year for 2015 intake at Vic Uni was wondering how you went, and if you ended applying?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bachelor of Midwifery Vic Uni

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone here studied Midwifery at VU? I have recently been accepted and I'm looking for some information regarding clinical placement. In my course guide it says we do 160 hours each semester. Would this be done as 20 consecutive shifts, or spread out over the 6 months? And are these hours all done in a clinical setting or are some done on campus?
    I have in the last completed my degree in paramedics at VU with a completely different placement structure so I am a little confused.
    Any feedback would be fantastic.