+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who's been private first then public for next baby??

We're TTC next month. We had our DD private last year and didnt have a positive experience.
    i won't be going back to that hospital....
    Im looking at other private hospitals and obs in Brisbane (either mater or Greenslopes) but then I'm starting to consider public.
    What was the difference for you from private to public and would you recommend? I did enjoy the private room but is $3000 worth it second time around...
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a midwife at a public hospital and it's very common for women who went private first and were low risk and had a normal birth to seek public care for their second particularly midwife continuity of care, as the private care either wasn't what they expected or they felt that the expensive fees weren't worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I'm a midwife at a public hospital and it's very common for women who went private first and were low risk and had a normal birth to seek public care for their second particularly midwife continuity of care, as the private care either wasn't what they expected or they felt that the expensive fees weren't worth it.
    hmmm. This sounds exactly like me. I don't believe the hype of private lived up to my expectations but maybe because I had a disappointing time. Still exploring all my options though but public is on the cards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would the Birth Centre at RBWH interest you or are you on the south side of the river?

Mater public also have a Midwifery Group Practice which is again the continuity of care program with a known midwife.

Another thing to look into is a private midwife (same as having a private OB but they're a midwife!)

Have a look at My midwives Brisbane south

http://www.mymidwives.com.au/index.p...cedetail&pid=3
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 05-03-2013 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, as this is exactly what I have been thinking about. We went private, had a perfect pregnancy and natural birth, so wondering if its worth going public for the next, going to start ttc in may

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is what we did. I think it was the perfect way to go. Private for first baby suited us as we got 5 days in a private room, all the scans, own OB etc.

We chose public for second and can't speak highly enough of our experience. I signed up for a midwife program where I had one midwife all the way through prenatal, labour and postnatal care (with her backup when she was off duty). The public system gave us much more say over my birth experience. Both babies I had premature rupture of membranes - with private I was induced straight away, public I was able to negotiate for waiting 48 hours and inducing via breaking rest of waters. Public DH and I were able to share a double bed, private he slept on a fold out couch thing. We were discharged the next morning but that suited me well as I wanted to get home to DS. Midwife visited me at home three or four times over two weeks. I think I got better care going public than private and I didn't pay a cent.