+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Progesterone pessaries

Hay Ladies

I posted this in the Second Trimester too but have had no replies so far....

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and i've had previous miscarriages (and also 3 healthy children!) this is hopefully baby number 4. I didn't go and get my bloods or anything done until 8 weeks as I felt it would somehow 'jinx' me, which is silly i know, anyhow when i got my bloods done last week my doctor called and told me my HGC is good but my pregestorne is only 40 and he would prefer it be at around 90 and to get some pregestrone pessaries.
    I have never taken these before (dispite 3 miscarriages) and although i understand they help to maintain a healthy pregnancy until the placenta takes over etc, I was wondering if there was anyone who had not started taking them until 9 weeks like me and have gone on to have a healthy pregnancy, I'm worried that it might be too little too late (although i have had no spotting or cramping or anything like that) but i did have a MMC at 12 weeks previously so the fear of that happening again is there.

Any advice/experiences would be grately appreciated x

p.s Doctor told me to take them anally for more effectiveness if i can manage it, which i will do if it kills me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Ozziemum

I've taken them throughout each cycle of IVF, to support implantation/ early pregnancy. However that's been from the start, rather than at 9 weeks.

I'm surprised your dr recommended them at 9 weeks, as my understanding was that at around 10 weeks your placenta usually takes over. Most women who take them as part of the IVF protocols stop taking them between 10-12 weeks.

Also, taking them anally vs vaginally makes no difference for absorption. However, you get less leakage when taking them anally - so perhaps that's what your dr is referring to? It is a bit more convenient to do them that way, as you don't have to lie down afterwards. However, some people get a bit of irritation in that area, so if that happens you can switch to the other way!

Just to add a bit about my experience... My progesterone is always very low, and the highest I got it was around 40 (less than 20 in early pregnancy). However - so far so good, and I am now 6mths pregnant. So it can still be okay, even with progesterone at lower levels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used them after IVF until about 11 weeks from memory. I had had a miscarriage prior to this due to low progesterone levels. They helped a lot but my levels were still average. I guess some of us just have lower levels no matter what?

Anyway I used them vaginally (I actually didn't know you could do them anally until I read this thread!) but ur right, it doesn't sound very appealing! Even though they do cause a lot of leakage and its really greezy (sorry TMI) I would still give it go vaginally and just wear pads or panty liners. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies ladies, I was talking to my sister in law last night who is pregnant via IVF and she is around the same as me, and she is stopping in two weeks, and I am just starting them??

Still i suppose they can't hurt and the doc prob would have prescribed them earlier if i had got my butt down to have blood tests when i should have instead of leaving it for so long!!

With regards to using them anally, it wasn't nearly as difficult as i expected and hardly any leakage at all. It was the pharmasist who told me you get better absorbtion this way..?. Having my first scan Friday so hopefully I will see a healthy bean and a nice little heartbeat and i can relax a bit more, fingers crossed x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought I might update this for anyone else who is about to use the progesterone pessaries.

So i have been using the pessaries for almost two weeks, anally, wasn't nearly as bad as i expected. My original levels were a farily low 52 and my doctor was pretty concerned. I started using the pessaries on Tuesday, i had another blood test on Friday of the same week and my levels were a very healthy 130!! So i have no idea if the way i used them helped but it went up very quickly!!

I have since had a scan and everything was great, and i am now 10 weeks and going strong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's fantastic news!!!! Sounds like it was worth starting late after all. How much longer do you need them for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm about 6 weeks now & I'm worried about progesterone levels also. I actually had to ask my GP to test for it even though he said its not relevant. I can't understand why it's not relevant though?? He is adamant that HCG is the only thing that matters. At 7dpo my progesterone was 48 (I didn't know I was pregnant then) but now at 27 dpo my progesterone is 37.5. Is that low for 6 weeks? Is it normal for it to rise after ovulation & then drop again before rising when ur pregnant. What is the minimum level it should be at for 6 weeks? The fact that mine has dropped from 48 to 37.5 in 3 weeks worries me. Is it a bad sign?

I'm stressing out so much as its my first pregnancy & first ever BFP so I wanted to get extra tests for peace of mind. And now I'm stressing over the results. I haven't had any bleeding & my first ob appointment isn't until 8-9 weeks but I'm worried if levels are not right it might be too late by then

My GP didn't even discuss the results with me, just said they are irrelevant I'm finding it hard to cope with all this stress & not knowing how to interpret my results

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quite a few gp's feels that progesterone is unproven and thus "irrelevent". I had one GP say this to me and my Private obs immediately put me on the pessaries. I had 2 previous m/c's and i truly believe the progesterone helped me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2012Mumma For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (16-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    2012mumma - what were ur levels when ur ob put u on the pessaries & how far along we're you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think my gp ever ordered levels so the obs only had my hcg to go off. but he had the results of the previous pregnancies which i think from memory were between 40-60. There was a bit of confusion with my dates (due to a mc the month before) so i thought i was 7 weeks when the ultrasound showed probably just on or a little less than 5 weeks. i started that day and was on them until second trimester. I have been told i can now cease but just using them up as they are expensive. theres only one person who sell them here and they were $300 for 60