+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thinking back I never played house and even the teddies I had were never my "babies".
    I just never really though about it. I not sure why mum thought the way she did. Will have to ask her though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If anything I would think playing babies would make kids realise it's hard work! Although I do laugh when my kids put their dolls to bed by lying them in a cot and magically they fall asleep. Somehow I don't think walking in and out of the room while you wait 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 6 minutes etc would really appeal to a 3 or 4 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had heaps of dolls, babies and barbies, as does DD.
    DD will sometimes be the mum other times she's the big sister.
    DS, 2yrs, cuddles and pushes his doll around in his truck.
    I don't think it promotes anything bad.

As a kid I remember always saying I would never get married or have kids, DD says it all the time, so I don't think it makes girls rush out to have babies

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I loved my dolls.

I'm a lesbian TTC with IVF. Hahaha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had tons of Barbies but never aspired to bleach my hair blonde, get fake boobs or stand on my tippee toes all day

My 2 year old DS has a Jessie doll ( toy story) Jemimah (play school) and a Dora doll , he pretend plays with them all the time ( and his male dolls - woody etc) I read somewhere that we should encourage boys to play with dolls as it teaches them empathy etc as most boys toys , are unfortunately inanimate things like cars/trains/trucks etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just spoke to mum. She says (in a huge rant about sexist everything's) dolls are wrong because they teach little girls to play mum and house and its just training them to be future slaves to the men of this world ect ect ect. She also says I never had toy irons, vacuums, dish washing toys ect.

I understand what she is saying but don't really agree with it if that makes sense?! Then again I really enjoy being a house-wife/stay at home (step) mum. So maybe her plan back fired??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I never played with dolls or barbies as a kid, I was a tomboy and a straigh A student in school... and im now a SAHM

My boys have a few dolls. They like playing "daddy and baby" games and I think its cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Havent read the replies but with all the threads lately i just want to say.

My goodness is it just me or are parents going a bit over the top these days? Can we not let kids just be kids?

I get the sexist thing but then again I don't. I mean my children (male and female) plays dolls, my son is playing tea party with his younger sister now.

I'm all for letting them play dolls, guns (we have rules with weapon type toys) barbies, Spider-Man action Hero's, cars. They are simply toys. I let my daughter play with the "boy" and the "girl" toys just as I do with my son.

We don't have to blow things out of proportion and start thinking if boys play with dolls they will turn out gay, or if girls play with dolls they will turn out housewives.

Let kids be kids and play make believe, or grown ups, or whatever they imagine. Being able to use their imagination gives them great strength and power later in life.

I also let my kids play in mud, IBM trees, play sports etc. of course they could hurt themselves or get bitten or something but to me its more important to let them live then to wrap them in cotton wool.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngmummy2bee View Post
    Just spoke to mum. She says (in a huge rant about sexist everything's) dolls are wrong because they teach little girls to play mum and house and its just training them to be future slaves to the men of this world ect ect ect. She also says I never had toy irons, vacuums, dish washing toys ect.

I understand what she is saying but don't really agree with it if that makes sense?! Then again I really enjoy being a house-wife/stay at home (step) mum. So maybe her plan back fired??
    I like your mum

I played all sorts of things when I was little - I had an older brother close in age , sometimes we played trucks, sometimes Lego, sometimes barbies. I had a younger sister also and we always played schools (I, being older, was always the teacher, naturally) and I didn't grow up to be a teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's because she was a "rebel". My grandparents were both very sexist people. My grandpa was a mans man who believed men work woman clean and cook and raise babies and my grandma agreed. My mum I guess decided to be as far away from what they thought was right as she could. She she got a "mans job", a good education and so on. She is a big man hater though.