+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin off. Baby Dolls?!?

Yes I know I'm asking for it just by starting this thread but I'm really curious.
    I've been following the Toy Soldiers / Guns thread and there was a few mentions of toy baby dolls being linked (so to speak) to teen pregnancy ect.
    I've literally only just upon reading that figured out that's why my mum ever let me have baby dolls ect.

I've never really had much to do with little girls either cause all if my family have had little boys and DF has 3 boys of his own (6,8 & 10) so I have no opinion on this matter. I don't know what I'm having (currently 21+2) but I'm just curious on what everyone's views are on baby doll toys for kids?

EDIT: I never owned doll toys (including barbies ect) but I had teddies and so on. Up until now I'd never really thought about why.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think people read too much into things these days.

I had heaps of dolls and I got pregnant at 19 , it MUST be true!! Im going to call my mother and blame her for my teen pregnancy because, after all, she was the one who allowed me to play with dolls.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (05-03-2013),tormyxxx  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never heard of baby dolls causing teen pregnancy. I had heaps of dolls, teddies, barbies, etc and my first baby was born when I was 30 (also my 1st pregnancy) so clearly not true

Seriously, I think baby dolls teach young children (boys & girls) to care for others, be gentle, to dress/undress, etc. Very different to toy guns which don't teach gentleness or kindness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Hootenanny  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Lol I think that was in reaction to people saying that toy guns would lead to violent adults etc etc. I don't believe baby dolls encourage teen pregnancy, I've never stopped my DS from playing with dolls and even if I did kids have great imaginations - he 'breastfeeds' my wheatbag sometimes. I don't worry about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had dolls and barbies but I was never allowed to have a Ken Barbie because of 'sex' we might have made them have... Lol
    Essentially barbies were lesbian because we chopped her hair off and said the boobs were 'pecks'..

Now I'm completely straight and didnt then turn into a lesbian.

So I think massive generalizations like this are just impossible to prove I think if so then every little girl who turns into a teenager will be a teen pregnancy statistic and every boy who plays with guns will be a murderer.

Sent from my iPhone :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I think people read too much into things these days.

I had heaps of dolls and I got pregnant at 19 , it MUST be true!! Im going to call my mother and blame her for my teen pregnancy because, after all, she was the one who allowed me to play with dolls.

I'm turning 19 just before baby (No.1) is due. I've never had dolls before in my life except for a rip off barbie an Aunty gave me that mum disappeared very quickly.

As I said I'm not saying anything buy it. Just curious about what people's opinions are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a baby doll and Barbies when little, no early pregnancy here. (1st was at 33).

In fact I have pulled out my newborn baby doll and given it to my DS.

A midwife I know suggested that they are good tools to teach little ones to be gentle with younger children and babies. So far so good. He doesn't really 'play' with it but every now and then goes over and gives it a cuddle and kiss.

I am hoping when we have another baby in the future he can 'help' by looking after his own baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never had dolls or barbies and still got pregnant young :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoalready View Post
    Essentially barbies were lesbian because we chopped her hair off and said the boobs were 'pecks'..
    I did this too!! 😂

I never had a Ken doll because I couldn't bring myself to waste a Barbie request on a Ken....so poor Peaches n Cream Barbie became my Ken! 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I didn't really like baby dolls. I had a few, but they lived in my toy box and I didn;t play with them. Mother-and-baby games weren't for me.

I fell pregnant at 18.