+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As far as I understand, in places like the US, the parents can dictate whether the surrogate can have sex during the pregnancy, whether she can take any medication... Anyone having that sort of control over someone else's body scares the crap out of me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    As far as I understand, in places like the US, the parents can dictate whether the surrogate can have sex during the pregnancy, whether she can take any medication... Anyone having that sort of control over someone else's body scares the crap out of me.
    Wow. I agree, no one should have that much control, that is exploitation to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post

Anyway, I feel for all of them but like RainbowRoad said, regardless of contracts etc, the surrogate can't be forced to terminate the pregnancy as she has bodily autonomy.
    Is that actually correct? Bodily autonomy can be taken away by law - it doesn't actually exist in a vacuum. She agreed in the contract to termination in certain circumstances. Isn't that signing away bodily autonomy?

I'm not taking sides on this one I just think the bodily autonomy position gets argued when I'm not sure it always applies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a complex situation. I'm reticent to judge any of them as I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for all involved. I think they were all doing what they thought best, under stress with time pressure to boot. I really feel for them. Thank goodness loving adoptive parents were found so the story ended as well as could be hoped really.

I can see how someone could in theory agree to abort, but be unable to do it when faced with it becoming reality. Its such a difficult scenario.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    But that's commercial surrogacy for you. You are literally selling your body for the duration of the pregnancy. One reason why I think it's abhorrent.

Spare a thought for the surrogates in India, you can bet they get no choice in this sort of matter at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's sad for everyone involved.

My personal views on abortion aren't relevant but I find myself siding with the surrogate.

However, I think if you're a surrogate but also doesn't believe in abortion for religious reasons, then becoming a surrogate may not be the best choice for you.

She is a very cute little girl though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a nightmare for all parties involved, something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

I believe though, by signing that contract the surrogate had given up her bodily autonomy right.

I can't believe that their laws have covered so many aspects of surrogacy, yet not include some form of before and after counseling.

This is why in my opinion, commercial surrogacy has no place in society, babies for cash just doesn't sit right with me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

MummyBic  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Is that actually correct? Bodily autonomy can be taken away by law - it doesn't actually exist in a vacuum. She agreed in the contract to termination in certain circumstances. Isn't that signing away bodily autonomy?

I'm not taking sides on this one I just think the bodily autonomy position gets argued when I'm not sure it always applies.
    The law can say what it wants, but she inevitably has the last say over her body. I'm pretty sure her right to bodily autonomy would outweigh her signing over her bodily autonomy, in the sense that the state can't physically force her to terminate, if that makes sense? Which it doesn't lol! But you know what I mean, they couldn't handcuff her to a bed and perform the procedure on her without her consent.
    Last edited by Annabella; 05-03-2013 at 17:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I've never looked into surrogacy. How does it normally work? Do the couple normally just pay the medical expenses?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh...
    I really feel for everyone involved... And I can understand the biological parents distress about having had two early prems previously who they have watched struggle through the NICU and never ever wanting to knowingly put a child through that again.

How horrendous :-(