+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Angry Would you call the police on a 4yr old?

So this is a bit of a vent thread I guess.

My DP and I have bought our oldest daughter a Yamaha TTR-50 (a small kids motorbike). And for those who don't know anything about bikes it's a 4 stroke and extremely quiet. This is the main reason we got her the ttr and not a peewee 50.

We recently been taking her up to our local public schools oval for her to get used to riding it. That was until one Saturday afternoon a teacher threatend to call the police.
    He didn't want her leaving bike tracks on the oval. (Seriously, oh no some blades of grass get pushed over...it's the end of the world!!)

And to be honest the last thing he should worry about is bike tracks when there is dog poo around the football poles and soccer goals. He should be on the dog owners that walk their dogs on there and don't clean up their dogs mess. But to keep the peace we left.

Now we take her to our local BMX track which is next to a large cricket oval. This track is a completely different area. We actually have to drive to get there.

Anyway, yesterday evening (about 7.30pm) someone called the police.

At first we thought he was here about her riding on the oval. But he actually recieved a complaint that she was riding on the BMX bike track.

The police officer himself couldn't believe that someone called. He said himself that he was expecting teenagers on their motorbikes tearing it up, not a child just riding over the little mounds.

The officer told us that the person that called to complain made it out to be older kids and that they were causing damage.

At the end of the conversation he said for now we need to go because he recieved a call about her, but we can come back another day and that he isn't bothered at all that she rides around the track.

I just find it unbelievable that someone would do that to my 4 year old (if I knew who it was I would give them a ear full!).
    She isn't a hoon. She doesn't go near anyone. She isn't causing any harm or damage to property. She just slowly rides around. No kids are ever around when we use the BMX track.

We purposely go in the evening to avoid any other members of the public. If there happens to be teens around (which is rare at the time we go) they are always at the skate park on the other side of the oval riding there skateboards and scooters around.

I just wish whoever called the police actually came to see what she was doing and not just jump to conclusions. And see that it's a little girl still learning to ride. F*** sake she still have trainer wheels on! If they bothered to leave their little house and come down and see properly for themselves, they would see no harm being done.

*sigh*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I wouldn't... But is it actually a legal place to ride a motorbike? The person may have thought it was illegal.

ETA regarding the school oval, if your daughter injured herself, or others, there are legal implications for the school. I think them asking you to leave is fair enough.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 05-03-2013 at 09:37.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (05-03-2013),Kiplusthree  (05-03-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (11-04-2013),waterlily  (05-03-2013),~BEXTER~  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I don't think they're calling the police "on a 4 year old", I think they're calling the police about the situation in general and probably you as parents for allowing it.

I would think that there would be much more suitable off road recreational facilities / paddocks etc to teach her how to ride rathe than a school oval which gardeners put time effort and attention into.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (05-03-2013),waterlily  (05-03-2013),~BEXTER~  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would not call the police unless the noise was annoying me.

Is there not somewhere you can take her that is for riding a motorbike?

However, I don't think that the motorbike should be on school property for insurance reasons. Our school is always attempting to enforce people not using school property on weekends unless they are leasing the venue eg tennis courts, oval. The school has asked the parents if they see people on the school property on weekends to call the police.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how loud her bike is but our neighbours have a son who has a mini bike (not sure what) that makes such an annoying noise, maybe people just don't like the noise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It might seem unfair but school ovals are not a free for all on weekends. Our kids' school allows families to use the ovals on weekends on the condition there are no wheeled devices on them. they cause damage (even if you don't think so) and if every kid does it it can cost the school a lot of money to repair and it means the kids can't use the oval for sport during the week (this has happened at our school). The teacher was probably venting a bit of frustration as most people know the rules.

We had friends who had bikes like your DD's for their kids. They had to drive to miles to take them on proper tracks. If I wanted my kids to do horse riding I wouldn't let them ride a horse in a park because it was more convenient. Sometimes you do have to suck it up and follow the rules.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (05-03-2013),FearlessLeader  (11-04-2013),Gandalf  (06-03-2013),HugsBunny  (05-03-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-03-2013),Pmakes3  (05-03-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (11-04-2013),shelle65  (05-03-2013),waterlily  (05-03-2013),~BEXTER~  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like PP said, I don't think they were calling the police on your DD, they were alerting them to the situation.

I don't know what the laws are regarding use of school grounds for recreational activities, but I would think its in the school's right to ask you not to use their oval for riding a motorbike (or to ask the dog owners not to walk their dogs there as well).

If the person called the cops without actually being AT the BMX track, they may have assumed it was older kids causing damage, which is a fair assumption I think, again, I don't know what the rules are for BMX tracks, but maybe its only for pushbikes? I dunno.

I'd probably be annoyed too, but like PP said, its probably better to find a paddock somewhere for her to practise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ouch that's nasty! My 5 year old son has a peewee 50 and he rides it like a demon (still uses training wheels) but we are extremely lucky that my FIL has a property and he rides out there. I really feel for you because people have a real thing about kids on motorbikes. It doesn't sound like she was causing any harm but some people just get a bee in their bonnet because they assume motorbike = hoon.

Is there any other place she can ride? Motorbikes are such fun and my son started when he was 3 (Dad's got a huge obsession with bikes lol) and he loves nothing more than taking his bike out to Poppy's farm and spending hours riding around.

I hope you can find somewhere safe for her soon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't say they were calling the police on a 4 year old. I would say they were calling the police on you the parents. I think you need find a more appropriate place to teach your daughter to ride. The school had every right to tell you to move on. They would be liable if anything were to happen to your child. Schools are not public property to be used on weekends.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's fair enough that you were asked to leave the school oval tbh.

I also agree that the police weren't called 'on your 4yo'. I would be finding somewhere else to ride tbh. My son got a quad bike for his 4th birthday but he rode in our backyard or at a farm. He was riding out the front one day and had someone call the police. Apparently the nature strip is classed as the road but the same thing happened - someone called the police to say that there were kids riding their motorbikes on the road, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered coming out.