+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low vitamin D linked to food allergies (article)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My naturopath had DS take fish oil ( with vit D) from 12 weeks as she thinks vit D deficiancy is a big cause of allergies/health problems
    I didn't know Australia has one of the highest allergies and lowest vitamin D rates in the world though- that's scary !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS1 had to go on suppliments for Vit D deficiency when he was younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would believe that.

Not to downplay the seriousness of skin cancer, but I do think we can be a bit over the top about it here in Aus. It is important to get *some* direct sunlight. I actually read an interesting study a while back that showed a link between low vit D and melanoma. I thought it was very intersting.

Add to that the fact that lots of people are on low fat diets, and considering Vit D is a fat soluable vitamin, this would contribute too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They now test for vitamin D deficiency in early pregnancy so babies are not deficient. With my other 3 pregnancies I was never tested. My vit d level was low, wonder if it was low with my last pregnancy as he has allergies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumtobodie View Post
    They now test for vitamin D deficiency in early pregnancy so babies are not deficient. With my other 3 pregnancies I was never tested. My vit d level was low, wonder if it was low with my last pregnancy as he has allergies
    Just to clarify, are you saying that your DS has allergies and you were low in vit D during his pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think it was low as I never spend time in the sun. Once I found out it was low in this pregnancy I have been taking supplements & spending more time in the sun. Will be interesting to see if this little one has allergies

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mumtobodie For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (05-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:24.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I also find this interesting. I am always Vit D deficient (only time I'm not is during pregnancy as I take sups) because I burn very VERY quickly. I've been known to get sunburnt whilst standing in the shade because the sunlight reflected off white cement nearby and burnt me.

DS doesn't have any allergies, but given that I took sups that could be the reason.

ETA: I don't have any food allergies myself and never have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was vit d deficient in my last pregnancy & my little girl who is now 6months old has allergies to cows milk protein & eggs & suffers eczema. Ive only just been told to give her vit d by the rch as they are finding a link between these both. Interesting!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app