+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Post Hydrosalpinx - Bilateral Salpingectomy - Done via Laparotomy

Hi ladies,

So I thought I'd share my recent experiences as they are somewhat different to what I've previously dealt with in the Fertility world.

To cut a long story short I’m 26 and I've been TTC for 5 yrs, PCOS, blocked/damaged tubes due to appendicitis when I was 12yrs. 2 IVF cycles and 1 FET, all with BFN. Recently I have been diagnosed with Hydrosalpinx in both tubes but significantly more in the left tube. Hubby – PERFECT!

For those of you who don’t know, Hydrosalpinx is common in Fallopian tubes which are damaged or blocked due to scaring, adhesions and lesions. In a normal functioning tube, fluid flows in and out both ends and causes no problems. When a tube becomes blocked or damaged this fluid can build up and become toxic. This toxic fluid can leak into the uterus and can have a negative affect on embryos’; this fluid at times can also rush out and physically wash the embryo away. Obviously this significantly decreases the chances of IVF working.

My FS has recommended that I remove both tubes – Bilateral Salpingectomy. I was devastated to say the least and took me a good couple of weeks to get my head around it all. In a nutshell my tubes don’t work and are now actually causing me harm so I came to the decision that I would more forward with the surgery. Unfortunately due to the appendicitis my FS has said that I am not a good candidate for keyhole surgery and will be having the procedure via Laparotomy, which is the more traditional manner of completing this surgery. Laparotomy is a surgical procedure involving a large incision through the abdominal wall to gain access into the abdominal cavity and in my case they will be using the existing scar from my appendicitis. Unfortunately this means 6 weeks off work and a more difficult recovery – Being such an independent woman this has been really hard to get my head around – asking for help!!

It’s taken a while and I’ve definitely succumbed to negative thoughts of late, I’m normally super positive, motivated, driven; but I’ve realised that this diagnosis is a really good thing. It’s a possible reason for the past failed IVF attempts and will considerably improve the chances of future success.

For a while there (and still a little bit now) I’ve been having my own little pity party, why me, it’s not fair and generally feeling really angry about the situation. I think it’s ok to feel this way sometimes. Over my nearly 5 year journey I have remained so positive, so strong and determined so I decided to let myself feel these other feelings, deal with them and get them out of my system (hopefully). I’d have to say though as this situation now seems to be affecting my whole life, surgery, time of work, financial, emotional, physical I feel that this is the most I’ve every struggled through the fertility journey. I’m not sure how much more the body and mind can take, but we’ll find out I suppose. I seek so much solitude through online blogs and talking to other women, I feel it’s such a valuable support for me. Mostly because no one else in my life seems to have any idea AT ALL on how I feel.

Whilst I’m under they will also be doing a hysteroscopy (to check on my (very mildly) heart shaped uterus) and a D&C which is where they scrape away the endometrial lining, I believe they are doing this to test the cells but I’ll be asking more questions about this prior as I was actually not told they were planning this.

I thought that I would write this post to offer some fresh advice and conversation about Hydrosalpinx and what can follow this. I’ll continue to keep everyone posted about surgery information and recovery.

So today is Monday and I’m off for surgery on Friday (8th March), with a post operative appointment on Thursday. I’m going to ask the FS to reconsider or at least look at the possibility of a laparoscopy (keyhole) as opposed to a Laparotomy as all ultrasounds have shown my tubes, ovaries and other organs are all freely moving. However at the end of the day what will be will be and I’ll survive whatever they throw at me.

I hope that this information helps anyone reading, feel free to comment or share your stories also… I’d love to hear about some success after Salpingectomy stories too! J

Kath
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kath
    I was in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago. An ectopic pregnancy caused me to have my left tube removed only to discover I had a hydro right tube (also caused by a childhood appendicitis). After a few unsuccessful IVF attempts we made the decision to remove the tube - although I was able to have keyhole.

Just wanted to wish you luck & let you know a happy ending is possible - I write this as I feed my 11 week old beautiful baby boy

Ps - due to unrelated circumstances I had a c section (which is major abdominal surgery) & the recovery was very similar to keyhole just slightly longer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Rice, thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your little man. Do you mind me asking how many times you tried afterwards before you had success? Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn1986 View Post
    Hey Rice, thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your little man. Do you mind me asking how many times you tried afterwards before you had success? Xx
    Unfortunately it took us quite a few more cycles to fall pregnant (we had two early miscarriages/ chemical pregnancies along the way) - details are in my sig. Just the (bad) luck of the draw though really...hopefully your journey will be much shorter.

As hard as it is, your surgery will make you one more step closer to your family dream.

And I promise, holding your baby will make it all worth while

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the information, I'm going to try and stay positive about it all. You never know when your lucks going to turn around. Hopefully I'll be holding my baby in early 2014 xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

So I thought I'd update this post based on what I've now experienced. It's 1:30am Monday 11th March and I'm currently sitting in hospital awake, as I can't sleep. I had the Bilateral Salpingectomy on the Friday afternoon.
    So from start until now. I was admitted to hospital at 11:00am, the Bethesda Hospital in Nedlands Perth. Between 11-1pm I was seen by both of my doctors and several nurses. I was calm and nervous all at the same time really, I was nervous as I knew surgery and pain was coming but calm as I had came to the understanding that there was nothing I could do to change the situation.

While I waited to go into theater I was asked to shower using a special antiseptic wash and change into their gorgeous looking gowns. I was offered drugs to calm my nerves but declined as I was feeling ok. At around 2:45pm the orderly’s came and took me down stairs. It was hard saying goodbye to my Husband and Mum but managed not to cry. I waited in the 'holding bay' for about half an hour where I spoke to more nurses and anesthetists’ who checked my wrist ID - name, DOB etc. While I was waiting there that’s when the water works started, I just felt scared really. I closed my eyes and told myself over and over how strong and brave I was for fighting for what I wanted so badly. After a few minutes I felt ok and actually think I dosed briefly.

After around a 25minute wait I was wheeled into theater, everything seemed real then. Both of my doctors were there and a whole lot of nurses getting things organised. My anesthetist and his assistant were very nice, talked me through everything they were doing and within 5 minutes I was out…

When I came to it was two and half hours later, surgery went for 2 hours. To be honest now, I don’t really remember being in recovery, I vaguely remember being wheeled through corridors back into my room.

Because I was under for 2hours, I really struggled to wake up and ‘come to’. I could feel that I was awake and was somewhat aware but couldn’t open my eyes for any period of time. When hubby and mum were finally by my side, I just remember crying and feeling very overwhelmed.

Both Hubby and Mum were asked to leave at 8pm as visiting hours were over (apparently they weren’t happy about that). I had a TERRIBLE night. My initial issue was that I couldn’t wake up properly and within a couple of hours it was total opposite. Every time I fell asleep I woke up startled as I was holding my breath. Apparently that can sometimes happen with anesthetic and narcotic drugs. I was in pain and couldn’t sleep, I was very upset at this point and at some point the nurse came in, gave me some tissues, sorted my bedding out and calmed me down. After sometime I composed myself ­­­­and somehow time started to pass. I was hooked up to blood pressure and pulse machine, IV pain meds, leg stockings which blew up and down every ten minutes which apparently are for blood clots and not to mention the catheda! It wasn’t a good night but somehow I got through until morning.

The next morning the Doctors came in and told me about the surgery, it had been a success. They were able to remove both fallopian tubes. The DR said they were severely damaged and she could clearly see that fluid was leaking into the uterus. She said that the tubes in that condition would have seriously hindered IVF chances.

She also checked up on the uterus through a hysteroscopy (filling with dye/fluid) and taking photos. She said my uterus is one that’s heart shaped but only a variant of normal and thinks it shouldn’t be a problem. They also did a D&C and took a scraping for testing purposes – results will come back at a later date.

The rest of that day basically all of the machines, tubes, wires etc came off or out – thank goodness. I was totally loaded up on pain medication. I felt pretty drowsy and spaced out – not to mention the sore tummy. Fairly early the Nurse had me up walking and off to the loo, everything worked but I was just sore. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to sleep at all during the day, still had this issue with waking up holding my breath.

On night 2 they gave me a sleeping tablet so that I could finally get some rest, hallelujah … 8 hours of glorious sleep came. The flip side was because I slept all night I had no pain meds so I woke up very sore the next morning. Sore but alert and aware. The nurse soon gave me pain relief and I just as quickly started vomiting. I had a bad reaction to one of the meds, so I got a jab in the bum for the nausea and slept for another hour.

Today I have felt better; I have had more of an appetite and have been able to do more things for myself. I’m still very stiff and sore and am having someone help me in and out of bed and be around when I shower just in case I overbalance but I’m starting to feel a little human again.

For some reason tonight I haven’t been able to sleep, I’m struggling to get comfortable because of my scar and I can’t lay on my side or tummy for too long. I’ll have to finish this up now and try and get some shut eye.

I’ll send more info to this post as I recover over the weeks and hopefully it’ll help someone one day. In another 6-8 weeks I can start a Frozen Embryo cycle… All fingers crossed!!

All questions welcome if anyone has any and good luck to you all where ever you are on your TTC Journey.

Kath
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kath,
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. I wasn't aware such a condition existed until reading your post.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I hope it can help someone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! Just an update, I'll try and be brief as I guess I can babble and I'm not really sure on how much detail is really helpful.

Today is six days post op. I came home on the Monday which was day three post op, I thought it seemed too soon but the Nurse and Doctors assured me I would be ok.

My pain has been not too bad; manageable with the meds I was prescribed. I can't really say I've been particularly mobile. I can do everything on my own but it would certainly be easier with help.

I had my stitches out today; the top section of the scar has healed beautifully. The bottom not so good, it looks as though a section hasn't actually closed up. I think I'll go off to the doctors tomorrow for another check. Now the stitches are out I feel that I'm back to square one. I was starting to feel somewhat normal and able to do things. Now because the wound is 'freely moving' I feel like it's not secure and have pretty much stayed in bed for the last 10 hours.

Emotionally I've been good until today. Before the surgery I got to a point that I felt disconnected from my tubes, I wanted them out. I haven't had a single pregnancy in the last nearly 10 years all up so clearly they don’t work. I'm actually glad there gone - I think.

I don't know why this afternoon I feel bad. I feel sad and angry that fertility has such control of my life. I feel that sometimes I'm crazy and going to extreme lengths to achieve this goal of having a family. A goal which sometimes seems impossible.

I feel sad (and I realise this must seem vein) that I have screwed up my stomach even further and this may not even work. Anyway.

So this is the update on my experience so far. Such is life.

Kath

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kathryn1986 For This Useful Post:

IVFonly  (01-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Updates

Hey all, so it's been 4 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. On my last post I was quite disheartened as my wound had opened up and didn't look that great. 3 weeks later its looking considerably better. Due to previous surgery there isn't a great blood flow to the area and I don't heal that well. However I'm doing really well otherwise. I had virtually no pain from 2 weeks onwards but was just really tired. I'm mostly feeling great now I saw my FS today today and she was really happy with my progress, she cleared me to go back to work in a week which is great even though the time has gone surprisingly fast. I'm allowed to exercise in two weeks too!

My cycle returned at 33 days which is normal for me, I was so relieved that it appeared as I know after a D&C it can take a while to come back. My FS cleared me to start a frozen Embryo Transfer on my next cycle which is in 3 and a bit weeks! I'm very excited and nervous too, I feel like this has been such a huge hurdle and move past and I wanted to write this post in the hope that it can help someone els as I know how much reading other women's stories has helped me.

Anyway that's all I really have to report at the moment

Kath